italian style ribeye steaks.

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by snorton938, Apr 15, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

here is one from everyday italian (foodnetworks) using ribeye steaks. the reason it interests me is that emeril's first book had a similar method of cooking steaks (except of course his recipe used his essence.....$3.49/container retail). since both emeril and giada (everyday italian host) are "pro's" meaning that they were both professionally trained in europe, there must be something to this cooking technique for ribeye's. i have cooked it this way (used emeril's recipe and then modified it) and the steaks are good (giada's way is more health conscious since she serves hers as a type of salad). after the steaks are done, i like to make a pan gravy with the oils and drippings in the pan using some flour (make a quick roux) and then adding in some red wine (any type) and some sliced mushrooms and a little sour cream. i then pour this over the steaks as well as the side dishes such as rice, mashed or baked potatoes, and even french fries. so here is giada's ribeye recipe italian style from everyday italian on foodnetwork:

italian style ribeye steaks:

6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
    2 (1-inch-thick) rib-eye steaks (about 1 pound each)
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    3 cups arugula (or any lettuce), washed and spun dry
    1 1/2 cups roasted peppers, rinsed and patted dry
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    Small block Parmesan (about 8 ounces)

In a large saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season steaks with salt and pepper. When pan starts to smoke, carefully add steaks. Allow the steaks to cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on 1 side, without moving or piercing the meat. This will help create a good, crusty sear. When steaks are brown, flip and sear the other side for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove meat to a large plate and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
    Decoratively line a large platter with arugula. Tear the roasted peppers into large pieces and scatter over the arugula. In a small bowl, whisk in the remaining olive oil, balsamic vinegar and any meat juices that may have collected on the plate from the steaks. Season with salt and pepper.

Slice the steaks across the grain and on a bias into 1 1/2-inch thick pieces. Lay the slices on top of the salad and drizzle with dressing. Using a vegetable peeler, shave about Parmesan over the dish.