It wasn’t supposed to be like this. LSU was supposed to lose lots in 2018.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUTiga, Oct 21, 2018.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

It's true. He played the last game right with an off qb in bad weather. Stats won't reflect that. Uga game was a blowout.

We do need to talk about our receivers who still can't catch however.

didit likes this.
  2. kcal

kcal Founding Member

stats also don't reflect the plays called in the moo u game that didn't help burrow, receivers, or the o in general

3. BP

BP Founding Member

How about this fact. The yards per completion puts LSU in the top 40% of P5 schools against schools ranked #2 (Miami), #6 Florida, #10(Miss St), and #15 (Georgia). We beat Miami's defense average yards per attempt, Florida's,
    Burrows had several bad passes to open receiver and several catchable passes were dropped by those receivers. Doesn't matter what plays you call, if the quarterback isn't accurate and your receivers drop balls, your offense won't look good. That receivers were open indicates that E was calling good plays.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

You're gonna have a hard time arguing a gameplan failed against a top 25 sec team that we beat by 2 tds. Not even trying.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  5. kcal

kcal Founding Member

of course

but it's chicken /egg...it does matter what plays are called. are we putting them in the best position to make plays? open receivers are a combination of receivers running routes and defenders covering them. would they be more open if different plays were called? we don't know

we do know that quite often steve calls very slow developing plays that don't benefit the oline or burrow.

I think steve is a great guy but a top oc? not imo

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Thank God for Ice Cole Tracy.

7. kcal

kcal Founding Member

not arguing a failed game plan....you watched as much of les as I did...it's never a failure when you win

we won....yay

now trot that gameplan out again 11/3 and we'll compare notes later

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  8. BP

BP Founding Member

I guess its possible that E could call better plays that would make the receiver even more open. The receiver is open by three steps instead of two, that sort of thing, though from a practical standpoint, I don't see that it makes any difference. But, until such time as Burrows consistently throws better and the receivers consistently catch better, it's a moot point.
    None of this is to say that I believe E is a Top Ten OC.I don't know if he is or not.My guess is not. However, I do believe he is good enough. And, he gets along great with O, apparently has a good relationship with his players, and they trust him. These are also important attributes that aren't measured with stats.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

In the post game interview with the ESPN sideline reporter Oeaux heaped praise on E.

10. kcal

kcal Founding Member

I agree with much of what you say, and agree that chemistry is paramount, but believe steve is not the guy.