Is Wells that much greater?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by moraink, Dec 30, 2007.

1. kcal

kcal Founding Member

throw out the 1 carry of 35 then he has 45 carries for 35 yds, a whopping .78 yd per carry avg......he's a dual threat for sure!

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

So let's see, a 3/4 of a yard average running the ball.....hmmmmm

Oh yeah, he would be perfect for QB sneaks on 4th and inches!

3. buckeye78

buckeye78 Founding Member

I think what pheasant was trying to say, was that in the illinois game, when tOSU was having trouble moving the ball, and recievers were covered downfield, boeckman showed us something he hasn't shown all year, which was an ability to scramble (and I use that term loosely). It was however, effective, mostly b/c they didn't expect it, and he picked up several key first downs on third and long. He's got decent speed for a huge QB, though i don't think he runs as much as say pat white in this game, but don't be surprised if, in a crucial situation, all recievers are covered, and he's able to pick up a clutch first down or two.

4. Pheasant

Pheasant Founding Member

If Boeckman gains more than 12 yards rushing I'll be very surprised...which is completely different than not being able to run to save his life. He's not a matchup problem for anyone on LSU's defense, and if LSU's top 27 defenders miss the game you won't see Boeckman running QB draws all day. What you might see is Boeckman making a couple keys runs because he has the ability to. You can trot out all the statistics you want but it doesn't make the original quote "can't run with the ball to save his life" accurate. If he couldn't run with the ball to save his life how'd he manage a 35 yarder? Again, I was never arguing he was Pat White, I was simply saying he isn't Jason White.

And yes, at 6'5", 245, he's a pretty viable option for sneaks.
    I wonder what would happen if you almost never used a QB for running- say only on QB sneaks? Subtract sacks, add a few scrambles. How would his YPC look?

lies, damn lies and statistics.

1 person likes this.
  5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

ok peasant, I get it.

how about this concession?:

"Boeckman can't run the ball to prevent his arteries from clogging?"

I think it's appropo myself.

6. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Boeckman may just have to run more then 12 yards in any particular direction in order to save his life cause a heavy defense is gonna be coming. :tigereye:

Lets just say he will have to contribute 13 or more yards to contribute anything respectable on the ground or he will have to sneak more the a dozen times for a first to justify the same. I dont have to be a fan of either team to see that will not happen.

In the end I believe you are right. He will not die on the field of play in order to gain 12 yards or more.

7. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

So I'm wondering was Beanie Wells that great or was LSU's defense that bad in the first quarter?

Anyway, he is a hell of a back, I think he is better than most we played this year with maybe the exception of MacFadden.
    Beanie is not only big but fast!
    Good Luck to the Buckeyes next year!

8. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

He had 1 or 2 nice runs.. the rest he didn't do that much. He could have been more of an impact if he didn't have to block so often. He'll be heisman worthy next year.

He's tied for 3rd best back against us IMO.

DMC, Lester, t3 Tate*/Wells.

He's stout.

9. razer

razer unregistered offender

I give him 2nd easily. Tulane is entirely reliant on Forte, had OSU been in the game a little more and not been passing to catch up, Wells would have gotten more carries. Lester is a good back and I like his versatility a lot but I don't think he's quite on the level of Wells. I come away from this game more impressed with his play than I was before.

10. MrCodeDude

MrCodeDude Founding Member

I think we saw that Beanie is definitely a premiere back. I would have liked to see what happend if we ran Beanie more, because Boeckman was horrible this game.

You guys could stack the box against Beanie, but when he needed to be good, he was. 146 yards when he was our only offense isn't bad.