Is Wells that much greater?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by moraink, Dec 30, 2007.

1. sluTiger

sluTiger Founding Member

Jesus, Mary and Joseph; IT WAS A HIGH SCHOOL GAME. See this is an example of OSU arrogance when everyone here is complementing Wells. Saying he is the same as all other SEC running backs is a complement. We see nothing special because we see SEC running backs every week. It is not disrespect to Wells to say he is on par with most SEC running backs; its a complement.

2. buckeye78

buckeye78 Founding Member

How would you feel if we said that Dorsey was good, but on PAR with Jonal St. Dic, and some of the other DLineman we've seen. Not saying that, in any way shape or form, Dorsey is in a league of his own. But to say that though he (Beanie) wouldn't start on at least three or four SEC teams, as has been stated in this thread, and that even if he did, he'd be average in the greatest conference to ever grace college football smacks of a little arrogance of your own. Just my opinion, but that arrogance goes both ways.

1 person likes this.
  3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

If you compared Dorsey to the likes of Sed Ellis I'd have no problem, but as you've stated, he's in a league of his own so you've pretty much answered your question- it wouldn't be accurate to say that.

You can pick out one part of a post and claim arrogance but the majority of the posts were very fair and acknowledged he was a good solid back, just not anything better (In FACT, not as good as some) than we've seen- which is what the initial post was about in the first place.

Remember this though, it ain't "arrogance" if you can back it up- in that case, it's a fact Jack. :shock:

We'll talk after the game and compare notes but I do not expect him to run all over us and you shouldn't, either. :wink:

4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I remember that game very clearly because of one of the players in that game. I remember how Wells did in that game as well. I don't have the exact numbers...I do remember he scored 3 TD's but didn't have over 75 yards rushing...less than 15 carries if I recall correctly.

By no means am I discounting his talent. I think he is a good RB as well. It was your assertion that he was the best player in that game and his college career has reflected that point is what I questioned.

Spiller at Clemson is a hell of an RB just as Murray is at OU. Neither of those two guys are SEC RB's, but it's a safe statement they are all in the same league when it comes to talented RB's.

I think we can all admit the best player today that was in that game is most certainly Tebow. We've seen great RB's come and go but we'd be very hard pressed to find a QB that brings the same threats to the field. But, that's another thread in itself...

I've said a few times in different threads here that I think Wells will get his yards in the game. I can't see him maintaining his season average, but a 100 yard game seems likely.

5. VABuckeye

VABuckeye Founding Member

TerryP,

I can agree with your post. It's just those that simply discount him and lump him in with the average that I take offense at. He was the MVP of the game last year and if you visit the Army AA site for the game you'll see that the game recap is about Chris Wells and no one else. Only two other players are mentioned in the recap. Here's the link. http://www.goarmy.com/events/aab/aab_game_recap_and.jsp

Anyone that closely followed Ohio State this year realizes that he did it all year with an ankle injury. Some LSU fans are comparing him to backs that have had good wheels all year. Additionally there are games when his stats could have been pumped (Kent State and Northwestern come to mind) up but he had limited carries. Four carries against Kent State and only 12 against Northwestern. Still, playing with an injury for the entire season he had 1463 yards rushing on a team with a balanced offense and against defenses that were stacking the box against the run. He's a keeper.

It will be interesting to see how he'll be viewed nationally next year if he's healthy all year. My personal opinion is that he'll be viewed by Mel Kiper as a fairly early first round selection if he chooses to go pro after next year.

6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I'm "forced" to follow what is going on in the Big 10 because a good friend of mine is a huge PSU fan. I hear as much about Michigan and OSU as I do PSU.

IF he does decide to go pro next season, it's going to be a heavy class for RB's. Kevin Smith is likely to go high. Rice from Rutgers is going to get some looks as well. Jones from Arkansas, Charles out of Tx., Mendenhall out of the Illini, Slaton out of W. Virginia....

7. cristof11

cristof11 Founding Member

Whatever!!!! Bottom line is that OSU hasn't faced a running game like LSU's...We use 5 rb's and both our qb's can run...That's 7 players which means 4 quarters of fresh legs going at OSU's defense with all kinds of formations and running plays to keep OSU guessing the entire game...Not to mention the speed, power and versatility that they bring to the table.

8. VABuckeye

VABuckeye Founding Member

But like any other game there's only 1 ball. Go ahead and rotate them like mad so no one can get into a rhythm. Love to see teams do that. :)

9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

The last 4 NFL teams in the playoffs last year did it and it worked out pretty well for them. :wink:

10. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Might want to check that rush yds/gm average before making such a wish.

Believe me, it will be your defense that is lacking in rhythm...unless you count sucking wind as rhythm.:D

1 person likes this.