Is Wells that much greater?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by moraink, Dec 30, 2007.

1. daveeb

daveeb Founding Member

For the record, he was injured most of the year, and only played a lot, really, in the last 5 game stretch against the top Big Ten teams.

2. LSUTigerDad

LSUTigerDad 2009 Pick Em Champ

This is just an old football fans opinion but Wells is everything our Buckeye friends said he was and more. I spent some time on the BP forum and I read a lot about his stiff arm. He definitely has a great one. Good as Muhammed Ali's jab.

3. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

An argument could be made for Wells being 1 dimensional.

Receiving:
    Compare him to Hester who 14 receptions for 106 yards. (7.6 average/1TD)
    Compare him to KW who has 9 receptions for 113 yards. (12.6 average/1TD)
    Compare him to CScott having 12 receptions for 115 yards (9.6 average/2TD)
    *Wells had a total of 5 receptions for 21 yards. (4.2 average/0TD)

KW/Scott/Murphy all had more YPC than wells. The question is.. why didn't ohio state throw to him more during the season? Lack of confidence in him? He's a good running back.. but as far as i'm concerned he's 1 dimensional. OSU's backups have receiving yards -- why not wells?

4. daveeb

daveeb Founding Member

That is a good question. In general, though, I haven't seen Todd Boeckman have in recent history what any QB should have: A checkdown.

In general, though, Ohio State just decides running him is the best, and that throwing to Mo Wells or Brandon Saine (In Saine's case, you saw why) is the best choice.

I'd like to see us throw to Beanie. Makes our offense less predictable.

5. Pheasant

Pheasant Founding Member

Recruit Glenn Dorsey? Not many teams have enough talent on defense to make that game plan work, and it didn't work as well for LSU as you seem to think. 20 carries for 146 yards against the best defense in the country isn't exactly "stopping" someone.

I guess OSU can take solace in the fact that we had a gameplan that pretty much stuffed LSU's offense, except for the second quarter. :huh:

Interesting disparity between the views of the LSU faithful on Beanie. Seems like most of the naysayers before the game are whistling the same tune- not surprising. With LSU's defense geared to stop him (after they pretty much shut down everything else) and a need to play catch-up he didn't put up huge numbers. I think he broke the 85 yard guarantee, though.

The credit given by some is enough to offset the talk of him being an "average" SEC back... :lol:.

I do think his game was a little one-dimensional this year, but I'm not sure that has as much to do with his ability as with our game planning. He's capable of catching the ball, though he's probably behind MoWells and Saine in that ability. Hopefully he'll work on it enough in the offseason to make it a legitimate threat next year.

6. PhilosophyAskew

PhilosophyAskew Founding Member

Wells is a quality back. He outran one of the slower safties in the SEC in the begininng of the game. Dude has an AWESOME stiff-arm. Had Laron been here, he probably makes the takle and Wells is kept closer to the 100 yd mark.

Then again, had OSU not been humiliated last year, and had the Vest not handed out that dvd OSU probably would have won (sarcasm). Wells kinda reminds me of a young Shaun Alexander (when he had the drive to succeed).

7. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

Saine is excellent. I'm not sure if i'm the only one.. but I think he should see much more PT. If Beanie can catch.. that's a weapon OSU can use big time. He's a potential 5-15 yards per reception as a safety valve. A strong stiff arm.. blockers down field and your offense suddenly becomes dangerous.

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Who is OSU's OC?

He should be replaced. Seriously.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

mcsweater-vest

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

ouch.

he needs to relinquish those duties. that offense has absolutely no creativity.