Is Wells that much greater?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by moraink, Dec 30, 2007.

1. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

He got his longest run of the season was when LSU stacked the box and a safety and LB ran right past him and into the backfield being over aggressive and not staying in their lanes. Wells is a decent back that would be very average in the SEC.

2. buckeye78

buckeye78 Founding Member

Time will tell how good of a back beanie is. He is very talented, and no amount of trash talking will change that. Ask Chevis how tough he is. One man can't win a championship, and the lack of balance definitely hurt our running game. To say otherwise, is somewhat unrealistic. Props to the LSU D, particularly the secondary on playing a great game. Too bad a few people here want to tarnish the bright spot for us in the game. Next you'll tell us he's not fast either.

3. TwistedTiger

Not doubting his toughness and that stiff arm was beautiful, I just feel like I've seen quite a few backs this season that I fear much more. Not trying to knock OSU, Beanie or tarnish anything, just calling it like I see it.

4. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

Two backs burned us for more than a 100 this year and I think both are pretty good.

IMO, Wells was the best player on the field for OSU Monday night. The linebacker with the name I can't spell was as good as advertised too.

1 person likes this.
  5. VABuckeye

VABuckeye Founding Member

This is laughable.

I'll tell you what. If Chris Wells played for Florida he'd have at least 1500 yards running in the SEC and LSU wouldn't have played on Monday. The one thing Florida lacks is a great running back (well other than quality defensive backs). They're using Percy Harvin who is a receiver out of need and he can't handle the carries that Wells could for that offense.

LSU got blocked hat on hat on that long run. Way to keep demeaning your opponent after the game. Give credit where credit is due. It was great blocking on that play and Steltz got smoked on the run.

1 person likes this.
  6. offshoretrash

offshoretrash Founding Member

Well when I said he didn't show me the ability to break tackles I didn't mean he wasn't any good. He's gonna be a very good NFL back but he is still young and will learn. He has a great combination of size and speed.

Although he was good he was not the best back we faced this year.

The replay I saw of the long run was the defense over running the play leaving him a cut back lane to the house. It was still a great run though!

7. TwistedTiger

You might want to watch the replay, both Steltz and Highsmith ran right past him unblocked and then had to turn around and try to run him down. Poor discipline against the run on that play much more than good blocking or running. I'll give credit where credit is due, OSU is a pretty good team. However just because OSU fans are impressed with what he did against weak competition all year doesn't mean I have to be. He is a decent back but not great like you would have us believe.

8. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

What is laughable are your bold claims about Beanie Wells.

Wells totaled 1,463 yards and averaged 5.7 yards per carry this season for OSO and Wells achieved this behind a significantly better O-line at OSU than he would have had blocking for him at UF. Furthermore, Wells achieved these numbers against defenses that finished with an average rank of 60th.

Using UF's schedule, he would've faced defenses that finished with an average rank of 40th, not to mention that there was only one RB in the SEC that carried the rock that frequently in '07 (Dixon, MSU). McFadden averaged more carries, but more than 18% of his carries were at the QB position, not RB. IMO, Wells is definitely durable enough to survive the SEC, but not with that rate of carries-per-game.

So, ...... behind a lesser OL ..... and against significantly better defensive competition, ..... you're claiming that Wells would had more total yards and more total carries?

Puh-leeeeze ....... the reality is that Wells is a quality Rb that would start in the SEC at most but not all programs. He's good, but you're delusional if you think Wells would dominate in the SEC, at Florida or any other program.

[​IMG]

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

actually it was Ali Highsmith who overran the play and was way out of position, guessing wrong that opened the lane.

looks like you have a little of that demeaning thing happening on a visitor's forum.

i think he's an excellent back and proved it against a top defense. He didnt break that many tackle but he did surge forward even when nothing was there, seemingly for 5 yards a pop many times. Seems to be a bit of an upright runner which makes me wonder about his longevity the more carries he gets against top defenses.

Quicker receivers certainly would have opened things up for him.

10. jwinslow

jwinslow Founding Member

All of you saying he did not show you he could break tackles, are you admitting you haven't watched any regular season football of OSU in 2 years? I guess I thought that was an overplayed myth about the SEC. I understand if you're not familiar with one of the newer WRs, or a #2 CB or something.... but man.
    Sorry but those last two lines are completely contradictory. You really want to play the poor discipline caveat? Try Dickison running wide open often. Me personally, I think cheapening great plays because of mistakes is pretty lousy.
    Right, b/c he didn't do anything last year either. The kid only averaged 5 ypc against stacked boxes all year in 06, and smoked a very good UM rush D. Their achilles heel was pass protection, especially when their 4-3 was forced off the field by spread formations... as seen in the final two games. SC could not run the ball.
    His size helps compensate somewhat, at 245 or so. Most games this year he got more powerful the more carries he received. He's been nicked up with a number of injuries (bone spurs - ankle, high ankle sprain, broken thumb, etc) but played through them pretty well. This year he really learned how to surge through the pain, by his own omission (and after Tressel challenged him to be a warrior).

1 person likes this.