Is Wells that much greater?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by moraink, Dec 30, 2007.

1. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

Give Forte OSUs line and more balanced attack and he would perform.. I've no doubt about that.

I'm definitely impressed with beanies potential. More carries.. and i'm sure i'd be more impressed. I'm not sold on his hands yet.. and that's a huge factor to me.

I give Lester the edge (this year).. because he always falls forward. He magically seems to get yards. Next year.. I think beanie is a potential heisman winner.

2. moraink

moraink Founding Member

Same here, I was impressed.

3. jwinslow

jwinslow Founding Member

Thanks for the kind words. Glad y'all got to witness why we rave about his stiff arm. It was even more impressive during the season with a broken finger(s?).

4. phlashman

phlashman Founding Member

When finally put against a great defense, he's a "good" RB at best...everything else fades away. Once he goes pro, he'll figure it out in a hurry.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Very impressed with Wells. He is a beast.

18 carries for 51 yards (not counting the 2 big runs). We stopped him for the most part as I anticipated. It made Boeckman have to win the game, and he couldn't. As I anticipated.

6. moraink

moraink Founding Member

Islstl, I wish we could do that but fact of the matter is he did have 2 big runs. He's only a sophmore and will only get better unless he turns into Justin Vincent. He has one hell of a stiff arm too.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Well you can "do that".

If he had run for 146 yards on 20 carries, and had 14 of his carries for 6 yards or more, then that's significant.

Truth of the matter is he had 14 of his carries for 3 yards or less. That is not good. It caused OSU into long down and distance situations way too often and that favored LSU's aggressive style of play. It cost them the game, for the most part. It put the onus on Boeckman to win the game. He wasn't ready to do that.

Wells, in a word, was NOT successful Monday night.

I hope that made sense.

8. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

Breaking it down as islstl did is probably the best way to do it.

I'll say his touchdown run was impressive.. but I tend to look at how running backs perform against a defense that is executing.

(Which is why I give lester the nod this season.)

9. jwinslow

jwinslow Founding Member

Early on OSU kept LSU's D honest, and Wells ran well. Later in the game, they stacked the box and his production went down. Here are his yards on each carry:

5, 65, 5, 5, 7, 2, 29, 0, 0, 1, 3, 0, 4, 5, 3, 11, 3, 0, 2

10. moraink

moraink Founding Member

Guys, lets play devils advocate here for a second? Who would you say is the best RB in NFL history?

Most would say Barry Sanders, he put up great numbers as a pro, most from big runs, he probably lead the league in TFLs during his tenure also but no one takes that away from him.

Now, Wells from what I saw yesterday, he's going to be one hell of a RB for Ohio State. When things were balanced, he was being very productive.

Qtr 1 - 6 carried for 89 yds but did have a 65 yd TD run that is 14.8 yds per carry. Take away the 65 yarder and it is 5 for 24 which is still 4.8 yds per carry. Not too shabby.

After that they went away from him and got predictable. But if they were able to keep it balanced, I believe he would have many more yards. I would imagine in a close game, he would only get better as the game wore on. He's a very physical RB.