Is the Offense Good Enough to Make a Real Run?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Robidoux87, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

There is the advantage to a 2 man route. Simplifies the choice for the QB as long as the QB and WR are totally on the same page. We have done this quiet a few time this season mostly successful.

2. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

Yes, let the movie play out. Stick to the script.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I agree with Shane, this offense must improve between now and Georgia to have a real shot in that game.

On one hand I have a concern that we don't have the beastly running attack of years past. But then ultimately that may prove beneficial in forcing is us to be truly balanced run and pass. This is as balanced an attack I've seen in a while the way the Auburn game played out.

Burrow has to improve his accuracy. His pocket awareness was vastly improved against Auburn. The O line was tremendous in pass protection. These are all good signs of an improved and legit passing attack.

GregLSU and lsu-i-like like this.
  4. TheRealist

TheRealist GEAUX TIGERS

I don't think this is correct. I haven't paid that much attention to the Auburn game but after the Southeastern game people were saying the same thing. When I went back and charted it we had 3 or more receivers on about 70% of the plays, I forget the exact numbers now. I suspect this game was similar.

islstl and lsu-i-like like this.
  5. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

If we can honestly say next year is a NC-type year, O hire isn’t looking too shabby. Unless things fall apart this year, I think we can say that. And maybe I’m diehard, but I still see a way there this year. UGA is going to have to make me a believer and I’m hoping we can land some haymakers on Saban’s crew.

GregLSU and TheRealist like this.
  6. TheRealist

TheRealist GEAUX TIGERS

Just watched and counted, we had max protect on 2 pass plays. Out of 38. 3 or more wide and at least twice 5 wide. Not sure why this max protect thing seems to be coming up. You all must be scarred from the Les Miles offense for so many years.

Winston1, islstl and lsu-i-like like this.
  7. BP

BP Founding Member

Just a question. Were these three receivers set before the play, or are you including a back out of the backfield?

8. TheRealist

TheRealist GEAUX TIGERS

On most, yes. They had Sullivan line up in the backfield a couple times and he ran routes from there. He never blocked once.

There were stacked sets with two on each side. Three to one side, and one on the other side. Bunches and all sorts of creative formations. It really is a totally new thing compared to years past.

BP likes this.
  9. TheRealist

TheRealist GEAUX TIGERS

So, unless you consider 3 split out wide and the running back staying in to block as max protect, I'm not sure what people are seeing.

10. BP

BP Founding Member

Interesting... A great example of perception not matching reality. A phenomena well known amongst psychological researchers. Has to do with saliency, preconceived notions, non confirmatory response bias, and other very human functioning.

ParadiseiNC, kcal and TheRealist like this.