Is the current generation spoiled?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by SabanFan, Jan 22, 2009.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

That's true, which is why I've tried to take them shopping with the kids from my school when we buy each Christmas for our "adopted family." My older daughter really likes to do that, and I've always tried to explain why we do that.

2. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

I think the whole rift is between 2-3 generations in particular. Baby-Boomers and Generation Jones vs. Generation Y AKA Millennials. I think the cause of the rift is technology. Gen Y babies were the first to really grow up into the technology age, even though we didn't have a computer until I was 10, and I didn't have a cell phone until I was 17. Anyway, our generations have a better grasp on the technology stuff while the older generations still can't get it. That's obviously going to cause some tension, especially now that a majority of my generation is entering the work world and REPLACING the Baby-Boomers, who are either retiring or suffering from the bad economy. That creates a sour taste.

My dad and I get in this argument all the time. He was born in 1950 and thinks our generation is full of spoiled, entitled, good-for-nuthin' kids. In actuality, he's the most stubborn guy in the world. He hasn't embraced the new technology, because he hasn't attempted to embrace it. Granted he's got a crackberry but that's about it.

I just wonder how the Greatest Generation felt about there kids' generation, since I think they grew up in the most affluent time period when they were younger.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Then you should have no problems. You are a good Mom. :)

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I'm sure they felt the same way and said the same things. And many older folks are intimidated by technology, but at the same time, technology, in some cases can be negative.

Last year, as I was leaving work, three boys from the school where I teach were leaving Starbucks and each one was talking to someone on their cell phones, instead of to each other. I think that's pretty sad. That's just one example, but technology has split a lot of us apart.

5. LSU Rubi

LSU Rubi Founding Member

Sorry I am late...been busy and stuff. You must be speaking of my little sister...since she gradated the same year as you. She is one of those spoiled rotten people you speak of. I know its kind of cliche` for the older siblings to say the younger one is spoiled...but its always true!

Hmmm....I remember sprinting everyday for the wonderful NISH lunches...so I wouldnt have to stand in line for 25 mintues then only have 5 to eat your food before the bell rang again. Was nice in the Spring my last two years as I was on the golf team and would leave school early every day to go "practice".

6. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

I think technology has done a lot of the spoiling, but I also believe that the parents have more to do with it than anything.

I never really had anything growing up. I didn't get to do a lot of the things some of the people I went to school with did, anything I wanted, I had to buy myself, I didn't have an allowance, I shared a room with my 3 brothers, and my dad had me outside building fences and barns and such every weekend that I wasn't at my job...ask urtoosmall. I am 25 years old now, my truck is paid for, I own a house that I can repair myself thanks to my dad and previous jobs, I cook for myself thanks to my mom, and I will absolutely tear down anyone who mistreats the things that I have. I have such an enormous respect and gratitude for the things that God has blessed me with and it sickens me to see what has become of some of my classmates and even how other people my age take things for granted. For the most part, I am deeply ashamed of the majority of my generation.

It sickens me further to see how the kids in my little brothers' generation act, specifically in my parents house when I am around. It makes me want to move back home just so I can kick some of these little jerks in the nuts when they come over and trash the house. My parents have always put up with it in favor of trying to teach them things since their parents won't do it. There are a couple of kids that I have witnessed turn their lives completely around thanks to my parents. In fact, those kids also now show a healthy respect for what they have and probably spend more time there than they do at their own house. My dad owns his own welding shop and has actually paid them to help around the shop. If that's not proof that the blame falls in the lap of the parents, I don't know what is.

Now if they could condense those lessons into like 5 minutes and get the little peckerheads at the movie theaters and in the mall on the weekends to pay attention to it, I think we would be a lot better off. I can't even go close to those places on Friday and Saturday nights without wanting to put a bunch of teenagers to sleep.