Is Randall's Mom the REAL head coach of the Tigers?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Rex, Oct 23, 2004.

1. treelwitit

treelwitit Freshman

Can't blame it all on 1 player

I agree MR could do better as a passer, but if all the fans keep bashing him, that will only bring down his moral. How about everyone show him some support and watch the confidence he gets for himself.

Like the last guy says football is a team sport. And I think coaching decisions should be left up to COACHES. I just want to see victories. And thats what we got. So whats tha big deal.

And in closing I just have to say this. All you MR haters out there, weren't complaining when he came in and brought us from behind against Florida. So stop bashing him now. GO TIGERS. AND GO MARCUS. Show the guy some support.

2. treelwitit

treelwitit Freshman

Well add 1 more loss to that, if MR would have not saved our asse$ against FL.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

coaches can coach til they are blue in the face, it doesnt guarantee results. The fact that this team is THE YOUNGEST in the entire SEC explains it all. No different than a parent not being able to get through to their teenager. Sometimes it just doesn't happen.

The fact they we have been able to overcome 12-1 (i think) turnovers the last few games and win is unbelievable even if competition was 1-AA. The defense only giving up 37 yards in a half last week is impressive with 150 total. Marcus Randall wasn't horrible yet his 3 interceptions were. He could have thrown in the towel with all the booing from the fans before the last drive but as usual, he stood tall and led us to victory.

I'm happy with the win. I figured this game would be close and it was yet I sure as hell never thought we'd be losing. With adversity this team will just keep learning and growing. Winning along the way is nice because this team will be dominant in the future. Most fans are just very impatient because it is frustrating to watch a team this talented struggle as they do at times.

We'll get better but it will just take more time than we hoped.

I rememember trying to warn everyone thinking this LSU defense would be as good or better than last years. Basically impossible considering it may go down as one of the best defenses ever and not just at LSU. Teams like that come around once or twice in a lifetime. Maybe with Saban, we can get 4 or 5 more lifetimes.

4. lookapypy

lookapypy Freshman

This thread is embarassing

It is comments like this that make me embarrassed about some of our fans. We won the game. Obviously if coach Saban thought flynn would do better he would put him in.

Randall threw for over 300 yards. He did make some bad throws, but in the end we won the game. I have seen some of the best quarterbacks at the college and pro level have 3 or 4 picks in a game. It happens.

I can 't believe we have a number of fans a year after winning the NC that question Coach Saban's coaching decisions. Its embarrassing. I think you need to have realistic expectations.

Its funny how not to long ago at LSU a 9-2 or 8-3 season would make us ecstatic.

5. ExoticGlass1

ExoticGlass1 Founding Member

i don't ever remember being ecstatic about a 9-2 or 8-3 season. i can remember a few lsu teams that had the talent and players to go all the way but could never pull everything together. i get your point though.

6. LsuChamps21

LsuChamps21 Freshman

I think that they should have given Flynn a shot but I still don't see why we don't run it more often. When Lsu played Auburn, i remeberd them passing on 1st down consecutive times. When they go into the I or a Stong-I set they do good, but when they stay in the Spread all the time, they start getting the picks. Bad play calling in my mind.

:geaux: :lsup: :lsug:

7. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

Year, coach, overall record, confernece record, bowl, final ranking
    1990 Mike Archer 5-6 2-5
    1991 Curley Hallman 5-6 3-4
    1992 Curley Hallman 2-9 1-7
    1993 Curley Hallman 5-6 3-5
    1994 Curley Hallman 4-7 3-5
    1995 Gerry DiNardo 7-4-1 4-3-1 Independence Bowl
    1996 Gerry DiNardo 10-2 6-2 Peach Bowl #12
    1997 Gerry DiNardo 9-3 6-2 Independence Bowl #13
    1998 Gerry DiNardo 4-7 2-5
    1999 Gerry DiNardo 3-8 1-7

2000 Nick Saban 8-4 5-3 Peach Bowl #22
    2001 Nick Saban 10-3 6-3 Sugar Bowl #7
    2002 Nick Saban 8-5 5-3 Cotton Bowl
    2003 Nick Saban 13-1 7-1 Sugar Bowl #1

Things are going well under Saban.

8. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

In 1996 LSU went 9-2 in the regular season and went on to beat Clemson in the Peach Bowl for a 10-2 overall record. In 1997 LSU went 8-3 in the regular season and earned a berth to the Independence Bowl for a rematch with Notre Dame. LSU had gotten beaten pretty soundly by Notre Dame in Tiger Stadium then went on to return the favor and beat them soundly in the Indy Bowl and ended the season with a 9-3 record. I was pretty ecstatic with the way each of those two seasons had turned out!

It was of course fool's gold though. The following year in 1998, LSU only managed 4 wins. I would have killed for a 9-2 or 8-3 regular season again!

9. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

We were at LSU the same time, I graduated in '98. I was also pretty happy with how those seasons turned, then again our expectations were very low. I think from time to time we forget that we actually suffered through several losing seasons under other coaches in the 90's. Sure, we had a world of talent but no one to really lead them and create the kind of program we have now.

That is why I posted those stats above, we need to realize that things were not always like this at LSU. On the other hand, here is the 80's:

Year, coach, overall record, confernece record, bowl, final ranking
    1980 Jerry Stovall 7-4 4-2
    1981 Jerry Stovall 3-7-1 1-4-1
    1982 Jerry Stovall 8-3-1 4-1-1 Orange Bowl #11
    1983 Jerry Stovall 4-7 0-6
    1984 Bill Arnsparger 8-3-1 4-1-1 Sugar Bowl
    1985 Bill Arnsparger 9-2-1 4-1-1 Liberty Bowl #20
    1986 Bill Arnsparger 9-3 5-1 Sugar Bowl #10
    1987 Mike Archer 10-1-1 5-1 Gator Bowl #5
    1988 Mike Archer 8-4 6-1 Hall Of Fame Bowl #19
    1989 Mike Archer 4-7 2-5

Quite a difference from the 90's. So any fans growing up like us in the 80's saw great LSU teams only to be shocked in the 90's when we actually went there.

These current LSU students have it pretty good.

10. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Quite a difference these days indeed, that's for sure!!!

I STILL pinch myself thinking that LSU football's current status is too good to be true!

:helmet: :tigerhead :lsug: :lsup: :helmet: