News Is coronavirus a wild card?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Winston1, Feb 24, 2020.

1. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Mardi Gras was the perfect incubator for the virus. Perfect timing with huge gatherings when no one really knew it was here already. Bet that is where Sean Payton got it.

As for Texas, it looks like if you stay off of the I-35 from Dallas to San Antonio and the 290 from Austin to Houston you are good. Coronavirus travels by highway.

2. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

With all the social distancing and what not going on, I can see a total 4-10 million reportedly infected. Deaths will likely be between 4-10 thousand, and probably skew towards 4 if this drug gig works out. JMO based on my experience in human health risk assessment and epidemiology studies.

OTOH, I can see a huge increase in suicides due to the economic melt down. ... and that was my opinion before Trump said it, because Mental Health Services are being shut down right along with the restaurants. People are losing their mental life lines, therapy, meds, etc.

Rolan likes this.
  3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Over 3 million jobless claims last week.

The loony toon left just couldn't understand why Trump was already talking about opening the country back up.

4. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

The fact the left loses its shit just because the man said " I would love it if we were open by Easter" is really telling. Why would not everyone be happy if that were to come to pass.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Bill Gates says now is not the time to restart business. I'll tell him what I think about that when I see him in the food stamp line. Easy to say when you already have $100 billion dollars.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  6. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I’m about the age of many of your parents, so I’m terribly concerned. I guess that gives me a different perspective.

Given the flaws in our testing, I would not put a lot of stock in comparing our rates with other countries’.

I also think widespread going back to work until there is a)sufficient testing to provide meaningful analysis b) and that analysis confirms a flat or near flat growth rate and c) the test to see who has had it are widespread, would be beyond foolish.

A somewhat targeted return to work by those at low-no risks makes sense, in some areas more than other.

onceanlsufan and Rolan like this.
  7. HalloweenRun

I get the hyper-critical need to ramp up ventilators, PPE, and ICU beds. While we have shortfalls, those items are getting attention.

Has anyone seen any projections when stuff regular people need such as Clorox wipes, hand sanitizer, disinfectant spray and Tylenol will again be on grocery store shelves?

8. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

There are 240+ counties in Texas about 40 have at least 1 case why should the entire state of texas shut down for this. Same is true for the country. If you are high risk stay at home why should the entire population self exile for something that in the worst affected state (NY) only 1 in 10000 is infected and of that 80% have a mild case.

9. HalloweenRun

Staying at home and strictly comping will ensure those counties remain CV free. That’s the goal.

10. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

The new jobless graph borrowed from the old global warming graph
    upload_2020-3-26_10-39-32.png