News Is coronavirus a wild card?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Winston1, Feb 24, 2020.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

This isn’t that much worse than the normal flu. This is an extreme over-reaction.

Majority of the cases only have mild symptoms and majority of the deaths are 70+

Flu kills around 80k a year in the US.

2. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

I don't know why a possible pandemic is political. Trump's stance so far is confusing, but he probably knows more than us on it, hopefully. I really hope he is right, these things don't follow party lines. Your families will be affected if it spreads, lets all hope a vaccine is out sooner than later.

Wash your hands like a crazy person when in public, if you get it wear a mask and stay at home!

The second wave is the scary part, and we just don't know much yet.

Jmg likes this.
  3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I’m pretty close to 70+.

4. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

it kills at a significantly higher percentage than the flu. maybe 10 times more, maybe 500 times more.

5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

For now. They are only using mild to serious cases for their mortality rate calculation. I suspect it will be higher than the normal flu for sure, but probably level around the 1% range, maybe even lower. I tend to believe that the more Western/Modern countries will have much lower mortality rates.

In any-case, around 1 billion people get the flu annually around the globe.

China is reported that there are around 80K cases with half of those being confirmed. In this case, they are using confirmed to signify mild - to severe.

China is starting to come back online. and they have 1.6 billion people. Containing it to 100K or so, to me, isn't all that serious.

This will be less deadly than Ebola, SARS and MERS.

6. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Well differently serious. MERS & SARS had higher mortality rates but didn’t spread easily. Same with Ebola.
    Apparently this spreads easily and through multiple vectors....more like the cold. It seems to have either a secondary response or our immune system has a harder time adjusting so re-infections are appearing.
    We’re barely at the beginning and I don’t think anyone has a handle on it.

7. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

1% is a terrible rate

8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

If a 1 billion people get it sure.

Do you honestly think 1 billion people are going to get it when the numbers in China have been going down for the past few days?

Further, they are not counting people that have it that show no symptoms in their calculation. We dont even know what the actual mortality rate is.

9. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

Trumps stance is what his advisors are telling him. I don’t see why you think that confusing. What’s confusing is the Democrats making this political. This is unfolding just like all of the BULL SHIT the Democrats do ..... they make it political, Trump responds, then the media responds by proclaiming Trump made it political.

10. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

The solution is a political solution, not a medical solution. Limiting entrance into the country, and quarantine are things that are driven by government, not hospitals.

So.ues, I’m comfortable, as for Pence, he is as reliable as anyone else.