News Is coronavirus a wild card?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Winston1, Feb 24, 2020.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

And we are all just giving in to it....

Although, I dont feel any pain in this as we have been homeschooling our kids from the beginning.

My 2 oldest daughters asked me today during breakfast which was more deadly for them, the flu or the Chinese flu. I told them TDS.

el005639 likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Sophomore is one thing but what if she was a 3rd grader?

3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

OK. Back in the early summer, the district where I used to teach offered something called E Academy (I’m not sure of name, but something like E Academy - - does not matter) an alternative to part in person, part remote this year. A friend whose grandkids signed up for it was telling me how this was so great, it was contracted out to experts at on line learning. (my experience with any education "experts" is pretty grim, but I digress). To be honest this was offered when regular instruction would have been 2 in 3 out. E Academy committed for the semester. Regular school is remote for first 9 weeks, then re-eval.

So, I talked to my old teaching team buddy yesterday. Asked about the E Academy. He laughed, said no such thing. They took one of the existing two 8th grade science teachers and she is teaching E Academy Science for the students that signed up from his school, and he is teaching all those that opted to regular instruction. The same for all grades all classes.

They are in adjacent classrooms, same tech, same lessons, zero difference. Reg school is on 1st quarter at home and then re-evaluation. So the first 9 weeks there is absolutely no difference. Except he has 40 - 45 per class and the E Academy teacher has less than 20 in each of her 3 classes.

Oh yeah, the centralized North Carolina web site crashed statewide first thing this morning due to . . . . wait for it . . . students across the entire state signing on. As if it was the fault of students. What were they expecting?

And then, if that were not enough, UNC (I think just Chapel Hill) not the system, but I’m not sure, bailed out after one week on face to face due to 4 or 5 clusters, about 100 infected, but hundreds in isolation. That is a clusterfuck of unimaginable proportions!

4. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

If you are going to open up , open up. Let the fire burn out. They had to know they would have people catch it; big freaking deal. Of all those that had it how many were actually sick. It's just total bullshit.

StaceyO and LSUpride123 like this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Wouldn't it be too easy to cheat in an online class?

6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I suppose it sucks mo matter the age, but for different reasons. I am struggling with my 19-year-old and 15-year-old missing out on life as they should know it.

7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Me and my buddy were chatting the other day on the way to the track about how gnarly men must have been in the beginning of time to make it. Like think about it. 1st men just trying not to get eaten all the way to settlers in the new world trying not to get scalped.

They simply just couldn't "hide" and survive.

el005639 likes this.
  8. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

Same. But the 17 yr old is getting to go back to school, but the 19 year old is stuck at home as Hendrix said no go to in person. He is hating it.

9. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

I think the reasons americans were so successful is that our ancestors were risk takers...they said f it I'm getting on a boat and going find something better. I think that those bad ass, dont give a rat's ass what happens to me genes have just about been bred out of us.

LSUpride123 likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What I mean is that you can leave a sophomore home alone but you can't do that with a 3rd grader

StaceyO likes this.