News Is coronavirus a wild card?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Winston1, Feb 24, 2020.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

COVID19 is racist:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

@AOC

·

1h

COVID deaths are disproportionately spiking in Black + Brown communities. Why? Because the chronic toll of redlining, environmental racism, wealth gap, etc. ARE underlying health conditions. Inequality is a comorbidity. COVID relief should be drafted with a lens of reparations.

Winston1 and onceanlsufan like this.
  2. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

3. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

They mostly only test healthy patients I would say, but you want a diverse set of patients. Giving a vaccine to an already sick person does them no good and is just a waste of drug. I would guess they want some small set of people who already have the virus or had it recently while testing it to make sure they don't have adverse affect when dosed with the vaccine. I know they usually don't want you to take the Flu vaccine or any vaccine if you are sick or had the flu already within a certain time of when you are getting the vaccine. Its pointless risk to the patient at that point usually. Now if we are talking last year from this year, yes you would take the new vaccine and be tested. They probably want a set of people that had the vaccine last year, and some that didn't the year before. A

Patient selection isn't something I am greatly knowledgeable about TBH, that is why there is multiple studies of the same thing. Basically my knowledge is limited somewhat to my area of expertise which is drug management and dosing and data input. I don't participate with the outcomes side of the business much, and I have not worked on the study side in a very long time. I did write one of the studies for H1N1 years ago when I was on the study teams then. We were pulled from our current projects to write them. I don't remember much about it, it was a long time ago. They were pretty simple, basically just collected patient metadata and the outcome of the patients dose. Did they have any SAEs, serious adverse events after due to the dose.

Corona-19 or H1N1 type Vaccines re usually a special cases though and some steps may be skipped or fast tracked by the FDA.

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/tr...u-need-to-know/phases-of-clinical-trials.html
    https://www.health.ny.gov/prevention/immunization/vaccine_safety/science.htm

onceanlsufan likes this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The last time I had the flu the doctor gave me a flu shot while I was still sick. Next day I felt a lot better.

5. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

That is now how a vaccine works, it prevents it does not cure. Are you sure you didn't get like a B12 shot or a steroid of some sort.

shane0911 likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Was 1996. Still, seems like I remember doc saying he was giving me a flu shot.

7. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

Sort of sounds like a sinus infection, he gave you a steroid shot and you felt better. That's the only thing I can think of that you can get a shot for and feel better the next day, and a sinus infection feels like the flu. I am not a doctor and I wasn't there so I don't know. Maybe there is a twilight period where a vaccine can help you beat the flu early, but I have no idea how that works.

Pretty sure if you actually have the flu, giving you the vaccine is pointless. A vaccine is the actual disease, it tricks your immune system into building the anit-bodies to fight off the flu early to prevent you from getting it.

There is no cure to the flu, just things to help you treat it.

8. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

Did he give it in your arm, or did he stick you in the rear? ... and, do you remember if it hurt like hell? LOL

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Arm and it didn't hurt more than a regular flu shot.

onceanlsufan likes this.
  10. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

#selfinduced

onceanlsufan and LSUpride123 like this.