News Is coronavirus a wild card?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Winston1, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

So I think we’ve gone about as far as we can about who’s to blame. Obviously China is the primary culprit. After that we discuss and counter till the cows come home. It’s sort of like arguing whether or not to fire Les. There some like Taint who could never let go no matter what and find every excuse possible to justify his remaining. Then there’re those who wanted to fire him in January 2012 and nothing he did could have changed their minds. All it’s doing right now is inflaming emotions separating us.
    With that there’s still a lot to discuss such as how seriously will the virus impact us. How many more will get it....how many more will die...how long will it last. Then there’s the question of what will it do to the economy. Will we shrug it off and be back to normal in a month, 2 months, 6 months or will this be so overwhelming that the country and world economy crash? How will a modern economy and society deal with a loss of the flow of goods, people and money?
    Will this be a bump in the road or the apocalypse? I’ll add my ideas....without assigning blame and would like to hear yours.

KyleK likes this.
  2. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

Shouldn't a discussion or debate of 'who's to blame' happen later, after we're past this? And i'm more interested in how we'll improve to prevent or better handle the next pandemic.

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Bang on target. Make the problem go away first, then worry about who caused it.

4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Trump has been attacking China for years. Should have listened to him.

5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Isn’t that the whole tenor of my post?

6. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

Yes , In the spirit of assessing what we did right and wrong, we need to focus on what, not who.

1) We should ban the release of up to the minute updates on the number of cases

- This would prevent our retarded Media from creating misleading stories around them.
    - Trump should contact the State and Local governments and health departments and order them to stop publishing the data.
    - This approach is working nicely for China.
    - The people who need to know about an infected person will be contacted directly. I really don’t need to know about how many cases are in New York. Even here in my own State, a travel advisory to a town is sufficient, as I can’t know WHO is infected because of HIPPA. Thus, we have 23 cases, and the angst of looking around every corner wondering if they have it is fruitless.

7. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

We should not only ignore the WHO we should get out of the U.N. completely. Both are anti American and especially the U.N. does nothing to benefit us. The U.N. wants a world centralized government with power over US citizens negating our constitution and Bill of Rights.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I'm not so sure. People are stupid. If they don't know they are supposed to be afraid of catching the virus they won't practice social distancing now take extra precautions like hand washing and wiping surfaces with an antibacterial agent. The won't avoid social gatherings. They would attdnd events just like nothing is wrong.

Fear may be our greatest weapon in slowing the spread of the virus.

Winston1 likes this.
  9. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I agree fear is needed...just read about the Tangipahoa (sp?) parish sheriff had to break up a party on the Amite that was at a closed bar. Same thing in Florida one county with closed beaches next to another with open crowded with fools. Normally I would agree with those who say everyone has the right to do stupid things if they’re willing to pay the price. However with the transmissibility of CV-19 they’re risking too many others.
    I also understand why governors are requiring quarantine for visitors from current hot spots. That’s sensible precaution.
    Over time as we learn more and have more tools to fight it these limitations of our normal freedom will need to be scaled back and removed.

Bengal B likes this.
  10. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

On a different note I’m concerned about the potential for deep damage to our economy. Right now hardship is focused on the service component (hotels, restaurants, airlines, retail etc). However much of our manufacturing is at risk. Most factories today rely on some form of just in time inventory management and lean manufacturing. Also many today are more assembly plants depending on other facilities for critical components. That means we depend on a efficient transportation system. What happens if that slows or breaks down? As important are both a strong energy supply and resilient banking system. These are the lubricants of our economy and society.
    The country is in a much more fragile state than many believe. It’s great when everything is running well but we’ll see how well it reacts to this challenge. I believe we’ll be ok long term but the next 6 months to 2 years could be tough.

KyleK and Tiger in NC like this.