Is America really much better than China?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by USMTiger, Apr 9, 2008.

1. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I believe Friedman’s point was based purely on numbers and % of population with "genius IQs". In other words, there are a bunch of kids born in China.

2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

It may be part of their nature, but that could be the fact that they are "nurtured" by their Communist government.

It is largely cultural, though, and most of the Chinese kids (note I didn't say broadly Asian) keep to themselves with other Chinese kids.

Our Indian and Korean students hang out with all of the other students with no trouble. My college sophomore's best friend from high school is Korean, having moved to the US in the 8th grade, and she calls me mom...and her parents love my daughter and, by extension, our entire family.

3. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

i believe that basically every chinese person with relatives still in china is somewhat controlled by beijing in the sense that they cannot, for example, organize a free tibet or hong kong rally without threats to their granny back home. also i believe if a chinese person rises to a position of relative power in the US, perhaps in university or industry, the beijing govt will stay close to them and ask for favors if needed.

HalloweenRun and StaceyO like this.
  4. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

Would i be allowed into a NBA game with a Taiwan flag or "I Love Taiwan" sign? If i'd sneak it in would they throw me out the game?

APPTiger likes this.
  5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Plano elected a city councilwoman whose husband STILL works for the Chinese government. I did not vote for her.

tirk and shane0911 like this.
  6. APPTiger

APPTiger still unable to post Geaux Tigers!

7. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

To even have a thread asking if America is much better than China is an insult. Screw this thread

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

they would throw you out. youd likely be beaten outside the arena if anyone actually knew what a taiwanese flag was.

Frogleg and Winston1 like this.
  9. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

I assume they'll have Chinese Nationals in every NBA arena ready to shutdown free speech as required - with '70s Kung Fu movie beat downs in the parking lot.

When will they start serving dog at NBA games to make Chinese Nationals feel more welcome? Careful ordering ' Hot dogs' . How many years till we see the carcass of dogs roasting on a spit at games?

10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

So, so stupid. I remember Sports Illustrated doing an article talking about picking a new national anthem back in the '70's, but it was mostly a joke article that centered on the facts that; most people can't remember the words, and its a hard song to sing.

If there were a serious movement to pick a new anthem, "America the Beautiful" would be a perfect choice. "Lean on Me?" So, so stupid.

Winston1 and APPTiger like this.