International Travel

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by KyleK, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

I don't do drugs.

I do however maintain the Guinness index, which is a convenient way to compare economies and prices. Like the famous Big Mac index.

Most expensive Guinness pint: Oslo 14 dollars, second place, Hong Kong.
    Cheapest: Kiev. Caveat: they were at war and having a currency collapse at the time. Second place, Belfast.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

what was the cost in ukraine and ireland.

3. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

It was in hyrvnia and pounds, but it was under 4 dollars in Kiev and around 4.5 in Northern Ireland. For comparison a pint of Arthur's finest is 6.5 in New York and probably 6 in Baton Rouge.

Local lagers are always the cheapest. The best local lager on earth is Kenyan tusker lager. The cheapest is bia hoi in Vietnam, which is about 20 cents or less a pint. Most developing countries sell local beer for under a dollar a bottle and often around 50 cents a can. (In bars not grocery stores)

tirk likes this.
  4. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Martin, I really appreciate the info. If you think of anything else, I would appreciate any and all tips.

For those who say keep her home, that's not happening. She has spent two summers abroad and has no intention of stopping. I wish that I had had her drive and vision when I was her age. I was an idiot and worked offshore and crap like that in the summers.

5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I know you can't live life in a shell but hell, America ain't safe so I'm not buying what you're saying. I have no fucking business in other countries. Just the hours the plane spends over the gulf is enough.

COTiger and shane0911 like this.
  6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Martin said every place is safe and loves Americans so I think they means we're good.

COTiger likes this.
  7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Exactly, with the state of affairs that the world is in I'm glad I'm not in kyle shoes. I mean I'm glad for him and all but I don't like the odds. No way I'd let my daughter go, not to those places.

LSUTiga and COTiger like this.
  8. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

When I was still working and traveling quite a bit, we would get a pretty detailed security briefing if we were traveling overseas. Often times it was pretty scary. I can't imagine it being any safer today.

LSUTiga likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You earned money during your summer vacations and she is spending yours. I worked in the summer because i needed the money while my trust fund baby buddies played in exotic places.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I am not meaning what I'm saying AGAINST you or what you're daughter is doing. Just saying it's not for me. I'm a country bumpkin, I know. My mom and sister love to travel abroad. Mother and father went to Rome, etc. I'm just of the mindset that the things I love are not on the other side of the Gulf/Oceans. In fact most are within 50 miles from me.

KyleK likes this.