International Travel

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by KyleK, Jun 5, 2016.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

wrt Africa, stay south of Kenya and Angola. Egypt is probably ok too.

I recommend Georgia. very nice, fun, clean place. She'll be fine in Russia as long as she keeps her nose clean.

Don't let her go to Turkey. Its gone downhill fast.

KyleK likes this.
  2. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

She will need a Russian visa, it's expensive and a hassle.

The only way to avoid the visa is to arrive by cruise ship to st Petersburg and leave with 48 hours or something. By far the simplest way to go to Russia is to take a boat from Finland. Flying in requires a letter of invitation which you have to buy, and dealing with dickwads at the Russian consulate, or paying a visa service to do it for you.

I have been to st Petersburg. A stripper stole my phone. My current country count is 64.

Russia is not dangerous unless you act stupid. No place that is not controlled by Isis is dangerous unless you are a moron.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    KyleK likes this.
  3. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

Nonsense turkey is perfectly safe. So is most of North Africa. You couldn't get in trouble in Morocco if you tried.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    KyleK likes this.
  4. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

Also, before you go anywhere, read the wikitravel page on that place, it will tell you everything you need to know, visa stuff, etc.

Of the 64 places I have been, only Russia and China required visas completed and placed in the passport before I left. Some others require some level of paperwork and fees that can be handled at the airport, or pre-filled out online, like India with the VOA visa on arrival.

Most everywhere else you just show up and they love you because you are American and don't cause problems.

KyleK likes this.
  5. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

The Netherlands is insanely safe. So is Spain. Ebola in Africa was confined to one small part of west Africa. To avoid Africa because of that would be like avoiding Toronto because of disease in cancun and they are in the same continent. And anyways Ebola is finished.

I just got back from Mexico and I am going to Nicaragua in the 21st. I don't fear Zika because everything on the news is nonsense.

6. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

When were you last there & where?

7. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

Istanbul 2014. But I have been all around the area, Kuwait and Israel and November I was in Beirut. none of these places are dangerous at all. Not near as dangerous as places like Baton Rouge or New Orleans

8. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Take a trip to Diyarbakir and get back to me.

9. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

I would happily go there tomorrow and be perfectly safe.

Turkey is safe. Just because it's near Syria doesn't make it dangerous. It's fine.

People who have problems were looking for problems. If you go and cross the Syria border and join Isis, that would be dangerous. If you are a normal tourist (Even in Damascus) anywhere but raqqa you will be fine.

10. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I was on my phone on the beach in sunny Fla. drinking margaritas. Fat fingered it!

Bengal B likes this.