Internal dissention a problem for OSU.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal Buddy, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Trolyce

Trolyce Founding Member

Come on dude, "OSU had a great chance of beating LSU"......because they had more total yards than we did? You say that LSU played their best game all season and OSU lost because of mistakes. So, without the mistakes you believe OSU would have been close or even beat LSU? This is crazy.

Why does everyone want to prop up OSU. Is our BCSNC less meaningful if we don't talk about how great OSU is and if it wasn't for a dropped pass or a few penalties??? OSU was out of their league ... it showed this year...and it showed last year.

Watch the damn replay. Look how confused and out of place their defense was. It was a poor showing and as happy as I am about winning, I would feel even more satisfaction to beat a team that actually would have competed.

I honestly feel that there are 6 or 7 teams in the SEC that would have beaten OSU.

1 person likes this.
  2. buckeye78

buckeye78 Founding Member

I was wondering when the trash talking would start up. Maybe, just maybe, it's possible that these were both great teams, and one happened to win because it made plays and the other didn't. why does it have to be about who could've, should've, etc. OSU wasn't way out of their league, they didn't execute when they needed to. End of story. I fail to see how bashing a bunch of 18-22 year old kids who played their heart out, and were feeling a lot of pressure b/c of idiots who have been bashing them all year got frustrated and didn't make this game better than it was will make you feel better. Apparently it does, so knock yourself out. reveals something about your charachter.

3. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Some good points. Personally, I feel - and have always felt - that a tough schedule makes a tough team. You are who you compete against. I have no doubt OSU is a fine team and I am not one to kick someone when they are down. I believe part of OSU's problem was they were nervous and just tried too hard. But I really do believe the differences in the toughness of the two teams' schedules was also a factor. LSU was tempered by the teams they played against. OSU's weaker schedule was definately a drawback, and it definately would benefit from tougher out-of-conference games because they will not get much help with their conference matchups.

4. buckeye78

Absolutely agree with regards to schedule, but this year was an abberation, and we take care of scheduling good OOC games, as we have home and homes with USC next year, Oklahoma, Miami, VaTech, etc. The conference will recover, and IMO, is already on the upswing. Definitely would've helped us this year had the conference been tougher, but a few down years doesn't a tragedy make...

5. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

I swear while watching LSU gain 1st downs on every short yardage situation with ease, I said the night of the game that the OSU defense wasn't even as good as Auburn's D. There was a lack of fight in OSU that no team in the SEC displays. I believe sincerely, Monday night 1/2 the SEC would have won that ball game. It's my opinion of course but it's an informed one. I watched just about every damned SEC game there was this year and every team had more fight and spirit than OSU had last Monday night.

And to be bluntly honest, if push came to shove the other night, LSU could have scored as many points as they wanted. OSU was getting shoved around on both sides of the ball.

6. buckeye78

Fair enough, but in my mind, the fight in them was the problem...agree to disagree here i guess, I think some of the playcalling and lack of success offensively put our D in some bad situations, as well as allowed LSU's front four to rush relentlessly w/o having to respect getting burned. No line can hold up to that, assuming we're not talking NFL here, so decide what you like, but know that i'll be here to disagree when i think it's necessary.

1 person likes this.
  7. daveeb

daveeb Founding Member

I dunno why everyone is arguing about things that cost us the game. The penalties were tOSU's fault. The turnovers were tOSU's fault. The loss was because of LSU.

8. E-roc

E-roc Freshman

LSU was the better team and they certainly deserve the National Title.

Being from Northeast Ohio, the local media up here seemed to treat the upcoming game like an impending funeral. "Well, Ohio State will be taking on the LSU Tigers Monday night in the Big Easy.......visitation hours will begin at 8:00.......A local Cleveland Radio show that talks sports 75% of the team on Monday afternoon didn't even mention the game. We didn't seem to have any fire in the belly.

A TV station interviewed Beanie Well's mother in Akron before the game. She said..."That Dorsey for LSU sure is big......I sure hope he doesn't hurt my baby" :)

9. jwinslow

jwinslow Founding Member

E-roc, as in erocwolverine?
    I think those breaks could have nullified an LSU team outplaying OSU.

If LSU doesn't recover that punt return fumble, or get that punt off... the game may have taken a very different tone. OSU would not have had to get as cute with all of their "surprise passing" & that dastardly 5 wide w/ a TE & Beanie (grr).

Honestly, I wish the punt had simply left your punters foot properly, and led to a steady 7-14 pt lead. I think this was more indicative of the game than the 31-10 lead.

IMO, the story of this game was:

3rd & 1 vs 3rd & 5/8.

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Hard to say how much better a team LSU is than OSU.

I contended the entire season that only USC rivaled LSU in terms of pure talent. I can clearly state OSU is nowhere near the talent level of LSU.

But two things were apparent. We dominated both lines of scrimmage. That's where everything starts and ends. The greatest O-line in the country(and I do believe many of the OSU posters on here claimed that before the game) got manhandled by the front 4 of LSU. Once we got the jitters out of the way and bottled up Wells (10 carries for 27 yards in the 2nd half), it was pretty much over.

Even the one blip we had in the 2nd half with the interception that gave OSU the ball at the LSU 11, it still took a 4th down conversion for OSU to cash in. And it took a pretty incredible catch at that.

You lost the battles up front. You lost the battles on the edges. You clearly lost the battle athletically. And most importantly, you lost the battle of game planning and adjustments made during the game.

If LSU played OSU on a neutral field, LSU wins it 7 of 10 times.