Internal dissention a problem for OSU.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal Buddy, Jan 8, 2008.

1. VABuckeye

VABuckeye Founding Member

I have to disagree. The game was over at 31-10.

Here's why I feel this way.

1) The fumbled punt by LSU. The ball bounces right to the one LSU player in the area that could get the ball. Down 17-3 LSU may have started to press. We'll never know.

2) The dropped touchdown pass and subsequent blocked field goal. The TD pass makes it 17-10 Ohio State. Instead a field goal gets blocked and LSU marches down the field to score a TD to make it 17-10. That's a 14 point swing, not a 7 point swing.

3) Roughing the kicker. Down 24-10, Ohio State gets a stop and even though they have a long field it's still close enough with enough time left in the game to pound the run, shorten the game and perhaps close it to 24-17 at which point it's anyones ballgame. Instead LSU marches down the field, benefits from another 15 yard penalty (2nd drive on which they got 30% of the field on penalties on a TD drive) and effectively closes out the game at 31-10.

These were three critical junctions in the game. Don't get me wrong, LSU made the plays. To a young team like Ohio State in a hostile environment they needed the breaks and big plays to go their way. They did not.

Again, congrats on the championship. Well deserved.

2. cristof11

cristof11 Founding Member

Don't talk about fumbles this and fumbles that cause y'all were able to get a couple of Boeckman's fumbles back. Both Dorsey and Jackson forced fumbles that OSU recovered. If we get those fumbles, the hurting would've been on. We'll never know.

The other thing is that y'all need to stop saying that Robiskie dropped the ball and actually give credit to Chevis Jackson cause he knocked that ball out of Robiskie's hands.

3. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Wow. Do you remember where you read it? I'd like to read that.

4. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I disagree with that. OSU had a great chance of beating LSU. In fact, they had more total yards then we did. The reason they lost was because of crucial moments that cost them the game (7 penalties, 2 INTs, 1 fumble, 5 sacks, 1 blocked field goal).

Also, that was the best game I've seen LSU play all year. LSU's performance was simply amazing.

5. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I think that was the key. Miles is the best motivator in college football.

6. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

That was my take on the game. Pretty much everything went our way, pretty much every critical junction, every break, every big play, went in our favor. It's like God himself wanted us to win. It was awesome!!! But it all happened because LSU players stepped up pretty much every time we needed them to step up. Like I said above, that was the best game I've seen LSU play all year. LSU's performance was simply amazing.

Also, as for OSU's penalties, all those crucial personal fouls... yes their frustration clearly showed. Just like LSU's home field advantage was a double-edged sword (LSU started the game rattled because they had too much pressure on them to play perfect in front of their home crowd), OSU's disrespected "underdog" role was a double-edged sword (OSU got rattled because because they had too much pressure on them to redeem themselves this year). In the end, it all comes down to which coach was better with mentally preparing his kids for the game. That coach was Les Miles.

7. phlashman

phlashman Founding Member

I read earlier that the kids from OSU spent most of the time in the Hotel. Not being able to go out and enjoy being in the Big Easy prior to the game. If Tressel and his staff imposed this because of what happened last year, thats just "wrong" OK. All that did was let pressure build up on them day by day, that and the BS about the "Video" of last years debacle. Whether or people agree or disagree the players from OSU got them there, to treat them like that after earning the right to be there sux with a capitol "S". and if it is true, you guys oughta run that coaches ass outa town in my opinion! He did them no justice or fairness! The Tigers went down, relaxed and had a great time. BTW, the film Coach Miles picked for the Tigers to watch "300"!

8. burningitup

burningitup Founding Member

it is tuff when you have a top ranked defense and the other team is just pounding the ball at you and you having a real hard time stopping them plus the game is about out of reach 31-10 that is one of them times when you find out what your team is made of, same thing kind of happened to the DA U a couple years back, i can't remember who they played but man DA U had a rough night that night and still not over it yet. lets see how OSU handles going into next season, tressel better get the dissention under control or could be bad.

9. LuvinLes

LuvinLes Founding Member

I'd be pretty ticked if I had gotten locked up in a hotel room for a week, not allowed to participate in anything "fun" while everyone else was doing so and THEN still started loosing the game ANYWAY.....AND come-on...who gives a bunch of kids a DVD with people bad-mouthing them????? Thats like me giving my son all the mean notes other kids write about him...wouldn't it be better to instill a, "You can do it" attitude instead of, "See what they think about you??? You piece of crap...now go out show them!!"???? Makes no sense....

Oh, and LSU won beautifully....the lack of penalities was prob. one of the single factors that helped them the most and one of the most enjoyable to recognize!:milesmic:

10. daveeb

daveeb Founding Member

There was no fight in the Ohio State locker room at halftime. Players took exception to Ray Small's lack of effort on the interception and told him about. No punches, no shoving.