Interesting read on Pistol Pete

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BigWee_TEAMKATT, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

You want to bet on that?

2. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Nobody could disagree with this statement. If you try to, you are simply a homer.

This is where you went wrong.

3. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Don't mention any Celtics teams where he played sparingly.

4. macatak911

macatak911 CRAIG STELTZ = BEAST

Richdog disagreed :hihi:

5. kcal

kcal Founding Member

pretty amazin'! i remember this sorry bastid nd homer posting and thinking,"to me, this pos spouts stupidity over the more important concepts like clarity and original thought." i remember reading some of his lame-a$$ posts and thinking that others cared only about reaming him for his utter and complete stupidity and not if he ever posted again. :)

6. bitter ND

bitter ND Founding Member

What team did he play on that made a serious run in the post season?

Why? From what I've read, the guy was kinda a loon, with all that UFO stuff and macrobiotics. Obviously, there were some deep psychological problems with him, probably stemming to his relationship with his father.

1 person likes this.
  7. bigbowe80

bigbowe80 Founding Member

What a shame that Pistol Pete is getting this now. It amazes me that people are dogging one of the greatest athletes in LSU basketball history as well as one of the 50 greatest basketball players elected by the NBA.
    The whole reason this man just got two more books written about him is he had a very intriging story that needed to be told as we'll as a life that could very we'll be written in a hollywood studio for all that happened and how for along he came as a person in his short life of 42 years. Pistol was a very complex individual and if you actually read the original book about his life that's been around since the early 90's, I think alot of these haters would change their minds on what not only a great athlete Pistol was but also a great person he became after basketball.
    The fact that he never got a ring on his hand from his NBA years could be pointed out that he was on a miserable team ( N.O. Jazz) for most of his career without any supporting cast along the short stints with the atlanta hawks and celtics. This doesn't take away from what an incredible athlete he was. Nobody criticizes Dan Marino or Karl Malone for being exceptional athletes on marginal teams. In this day in age of multi-millionaire egotistical primodonnas Pistol Pete is a great example of an "old-school" player from a different era. I think it's laughable that this Notre Dame guy wants to group this man in as one of those. Just listen to an interview or what anybody said about him and you'll understand his true attitude.
    I was fortunate enough to get to know his son Josh during his time at LSU and he's definatly understands what his dad stood for and is careful to carry on his good name. He and his Mom are involved with some great charities and continue the legacy that was the Pistol.

8. bigbowe80

bigbowe80 Founding Member

I realize your bitter from ND but why don't u actually sit down and read the actual story about the guy before you post these lame judgements about bits and pieces u catch. Yea the guy had a tumultous childhood and it carried over into his young adult life. He battled depression for years during his career which led to different addictions. He ended up finding his faith and settling down before a rare heart defect took his life. I'm not gonna sit here and argue with you that he was a saint he was for from it and that's what makes his story so amazing was where he went in his life on and off the court. It's an inspiring story if you actually hear the ending.

9. downtown

downtown Founding Member

Well look LSUDeek,

I totally disagree with Bitter ND's statement and it has nothing to do with homerism.

There's lots of great team players who have never won the big championships with their teams. I guess Barry Sanders was too selfish. That's why he never won a championship with Detroit or made a serious run for it. There are many great players in major sports that haven't had real successful teams and it's not because they are selfish.

It's not one player's responsibility to make his team a winning team. The coach is supposed to help out with that.

All this talk about his critics...critics wouldn't have a job if they weren't criticizing someone for something. There's also a lot of critics that will tell you that he wasn't selfish, but ahead of his time. He had a pretty good career assist average. I'm pretty sure he had a better assist average than MJ as well. Was MJ "too selfish" or playing like he was the only one on the court. NO. MJ shot more because he was the best player on the court. That's what the best player on the court should do the most. Players like that should shoot a ton. It's not selfish if you're that much better than those around you. MJ and others are looked at different because they had some excellent players around them to help them win championships.

They say Pete would make passes that were too good sometimes because those on his team wouldn't be ready for them. Any great basketball coach will tell you to always be ready for the FEED. Most coaches will not tell a great player to dumb down his play in order for the other players to keep up. Rather, they would tell the other players to aspire to be special like the great player. You could see how it would be hard for him.

Now, even Pete said that he liked to excite the crowd if given the choice between a routine pass that would score or a tricky one that would get the same result, etc. So, I could see how someone would say that they thought he tried to "show off" to much or something like that. But for him it was more of a natural thing. Pete always had great pressure to do those things because people would show up expecting him to be Superman or something. It's like he didn't want to let them down. But he was still a good team player. Hell, he had a good rebound avg. as well.

By the way, check LSU's record the year before he played and the year when he left. He turned the LSU team into a respectable team. Before he got there they were a total joke. Not bad for a guy who had 50% of his heart functioning. He was supposed to be dead as a youngster, but nobody knew it until he died. The doctors couldn't believe he played basketball with something like that.

In the end, he was too focused on basketball all of the time. He wanted to be the best and score the most, etc. It was leaving him feeling empty because he didn't have anything else. Still, that didn't make him a selfish player. All of those things he wanted to do help teams win. I think he just needed a coach that would maximize his talents and that of his teammates at the same time for a solid team. Sometimes though, the players around a star are just not that great.

10. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

(16 teams) - Army, Cincinnati, Duke, Duquesne, Georgetown, Georgia Tech, Louisiana State, Louisville, Manhattan, Marquette, Massachusetts, Miami (Ohio), North Carolina, Oklahoma, St. John's, Utah. First round-Georgia Tech beat Duquesne, 78-68. St. John's beat Miami (Ohio), 70-57. Manhattan beat North Carolina, 95-90. Army beat Cincinnati, 72-67. Utah beat Duke, 78-75. Marquette beat Massachusetts, 62-55. Louisiana State beat Georgetown, 83-82. Oklahoma beat Louisville, 74-73. Quarterfinals-Army beat Manhattan, 77-72. St. John's beat Georgia Tech, 56-55. Marquette beat Utah, 83-63. Louisiana State beat Oklahoma, 97-94. Semifinals-St. John's beat Army, 60-59. Marquette beat Louisiana State, 101-79. Championship-Marquette beat St. John's, 65-53. Third place-Army beat Louisiana State, 75-68.