I'm seriously considering voting for Obama...

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CParso, Sep 25, 2008.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Schools that suck do so because of the lack of parental involvement and the lack of qualified teaching personnel. The Gub'mint can't help that.

Healthcare is overburdened, no question, but you can't throw tax dollars at that problem and hope to have a magic fix. Of course, Obama's a smoker so what would he know about preventative medicine.

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i think the govt can help on both issues. but smart decisions need to be made. and youre right, $ may not be the issue. although i do think spending more money on preK ed is the best way to go.

i tend to agree about no need to throw money at healthcare either. i prefer cutting benefits and focus on decreasing costs (but thats not capitalism, or is it?).

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

After my mothers protracted illness last year, I can attest that there is a TON of waste with hospitals, doctors, Medicare and private insurance, too. I think billions could be saved if somebody got aggressive about it. There are many, many overbilled services.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

But the government never asks for input from actual educators before they throw money at perceived problems. The pre-K education issue is a big one, though. If a kid steps into kindergarten, and that's the first time he's seen a classroom, he's already 2-3 years behind.

My daughter in her 3-year-old preschool class is doing what we did in kindergarten years ago, and my second grade daughter? Well, here a sampling of some of the spelling words we've had so far this year: scientific, hypothesis, geography, environment, etc. Education moves quickly these days, and kids without educated parents soon are behind.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I couldn't agree more. My mom was a teacher who took four years off when I was born. I entered Kindergarten already reading an writing. It gave me an edge on my classmates that I never lost--I was always two or three reading levels ahead of the curve . . . because of the early start and support at home.

6. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

My son was in Pre-K at 18 months, granted at that age they are really a professional baby sitters but still he was Pre-K till kindergarten. In public kindergarten through 1st grade they advised we keep him back because he was slow. Thing is he was bored for having to learn the same stuff over again. His education has been private ever since. This was not the only reason for pulling him from public but pretty good insight as to why we send him to private. In California, public schools cannot keep a child back till third grade yet there is no system in place to evaluate them properly prior to third grade. till then it is based on the opinion of a teacher not knowing anything of their past, only what they see, day to day, from twenty something kids.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

are soon behind.

8. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

Yesterday I heard a guy on the radio say he was voting for Obama because unemployment is at an all-time high. :rolleye33:

Of course others are voting for Obama and his VP candidate Sarah Palin. :hihi:

Then again some people have a problem punching a simple ballot. :insane:

Maybe we should have people take a simple quiz before entering the voting booth. I'm sure ACORN would volunteer to assist. :thumb: