I'm seriously considering voting for Obama...

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CParso, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

While I understand your thinking I still hate the notion of someone paying more "just because they can".

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Who exactly is keeping the Janitor from taking extra jobs, acquiring extra skills and improving himself?

If the dude is making 20 grand he needs to get a new job. I know professionals with 75K full times jobs and bust extra hump and net 20 grand mowing grass or painting as a second job for blow money.

If the dude is a pro janitor he should know about cleaning, and could start his own house cleaning business and make $25 an hour.

Sounds to me like the janitor should get off his butt and better himself instead of sitting around waiting for Barrack Obama to give him someone else's money.

1 person likes this.
  3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Many are upwardly mobile, obviously. And when he does move up, we are still going to need a $10 janitor in his place. This is why we end up with illegal alien at these jobs instead of Americans. They pay no taxes, live in shanties, pay no insurance, don't speak English, have no immunizations, and send much of their pay home to Mexico, contributing nothing locally.

This is the price of not treating our low-paid WORKING Americans with some basic respect in terms of pay and taxes.

4. red55

Fair does not always mean equal.

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Didn't realize there were only 40 hours in a week.....my bad.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i know a lady that works at a daycare. she makes $7/hr. she works parttime at walmart for less than that. she has no health ins and gets absolutely squat from the govt. unless you count low taxes and paved roads. but she pays 7% to payroll and 8% on every thing she buys (which is every red cent she makes)--and im pretty sure she gives 10% to her church because she's scared to go to hell. now, most people have family to help out, but not everyone. i think its a damn shame that she needs to take a 3rd job to be able to save money or get health insurance.

everyone except the homeless pay for schools.

most of these jobs (and many good ones---mine included) dont qualify for unemployment.

these people dont qualify for welfare anyway. the system is there to protect children and provide a temporary bridge during tough times. that is what it is doing. i have seen little evidence of abuse---anecdotes about seeing too many blacks sitting on porches in the middle of the day is not evidence. anyway if youre not willing to allow for some amount of waste then you want absolutely no govt.

for me, this isnt about helping individuals. this is about making a better country. there will always be poor, but the schools suck and healthcare sucks.

7. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

One other thing, you get pissed off when people tell you what you think but you just told me that I despise these people. That's not true and is out of line.

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

the law only allows children to be in daycare 45 hrs a week. i couldnt get a 2nd job now if the only one i could get was for min wage. hard to get a sitter for less than $8/hr.

9. red55

Fair enough. How about "seem to despise".

You did say . . .

"The people you talk about jump around from part time job to part time job because they aren't dependable and can't hold the job down. They don't show up, don't work hard etc."

"Is it a drop in the bucket when they pay no taxes yet take advantage of free schools, healthcare, infrastructure, etc?"

"I've never seen a poor person work 80 hours a week. I see most of them sitting on their butts waiting for unemployment and other checks."

10. red55

40 hours is the standard American working week . . . and you knew this.