I'm at my wits' end.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Atreus21, Nov 12, 2007.

1. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

Here's where I think your analogy doesn't hold up:

You have referenced example college games that wind up being hugely important - but only to a very small percentage of teams out there. Back in 2003, how many teams had fans staying up to watch that Hawaii game? There are way of "incentivizing" the playoff seedings in such a way as to make the regular season just as important as it is now, in my opinion.

How exciting is a college football game for you that involves two teams that you don't care about, and the outcome doesn't affect LSU? Now, how exciting is a game whose outcome does affect LSU? Now, why wouldn't it be better to expand the number of those games to the fans of more teams? Right now, with your point of view, only the very top-tier of teams really have important games to worry about. You probably don't care much about what happens with Clemson, Texas, Arizona State, etc. But what if it was likely that one of those teams would be LSU's first playoff opponent? Then you may want to size up the opposition, figure out how LSU will match up, etc.

1 person likes this.
  2. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

For the last time, I'm not dogging LSU. I'm not calling them overrated, or saying that being ranked #1 is a sham. I'm calling the entire ranking system ludicrous, and that we shouldn't subscribe to it except as pure amusement, like ESPN's Power 16.

Okay, you want a more believable hypothetical. Suppose Ohio State hadn't lost last week and remained #1, despite their joke of a schedule. Suppose then that Oregon, because of voter bias being a factor in the BCS, had leapfrogged us. Would you then say that the BCS was retarded?

3. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

The BCS system is important because it controls which teams play in which bowls (5 of the bowls, anyway). If the "Power 16" poll had similar powers, we'd follow that more closely.

If LSU wound up #3 under the current system, I would simply reiterate my support for a larger playoff system, just like I'm doing now when LSU is #1.

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Aren't you going to ask them how they liked the BCS when an undefeated SEC team was shut out of the NC game. I'd be willing to bet there weren't many on here who thought there was any way that would ever be possible.

5. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

That's exactly my position.

6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Sure, I'd watch. I'm watching the Seattle/SF game right now. And because this game has very little meaning, my emotions have not changed the slightest bit at all during the course of this game. Not one bit. None.

With your way, teams in the top 12 aren't as interested in the other games. Win and you're in. Regardless of the outcome of other games. So you knocked out the veiwing audience from the top 15 teams to teams 13, 14, 15, and maybe a few delusional #16 fans.

Exactly. This year, I'm confident in saying that they will be watching our game with Ole Miss pretty closely. With your system, their going to go online Sat. Night to check the score.

And nobody outside of Ohio/Illinois would have given 2 chits about the game last week. Same with the Michigan/Wisconsin game, but because it affected SOS for Oregon, Kansas fans paid attention to it.

No, because only way they get a 1st round bye, is if 8 teams in front of them lose, so most of them will have completely lost interest, and reserved them selves to the fact that they are in the playoffs, and on the road the 1st week. Probably won't watch any game but their own, and maybe a conference rival or two.

7. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

Well, that's already been addressed. They rationalized that Auburn had a weak schedule.

I was surprised to hear that, too.

8. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

Very few college football fans love the BCS system as it exists - the vast majority want a 4-team or larger playoff system.

9. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

ok...:huh:

More believable???

Oregon jumps us now or at the end of the season? We score 58 points and Oregon does not play but jumps us? Uh no...

Oregon and LSU both win out, Oregon playing 3 teams totaling 15 wins, LSU playing Ol Ms and Ark with 9 wins AND the SEC East Champ that will be ranked in the Top 10 and Oregon still jumps us? Uh no...

1 person likes this.
  10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

It was, in fact, the reason it kept them out but still, should ANY SEC team with no loses, be left out? "We are the SEC" "We schedule weak OOC games cause playing in the SEC is so tough"- aren't those the things we say?