I'm at my wits' end.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Atreus21, Nov 12, 2007.

1. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

You don't have to convince most of us of that. But the system is what it is...

2. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

Yes it is. Plus I have been aware of this screwed up system that is college football for many years. So time mellows the anger.

3. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

By your logic, it is unfair that a graduate from Yale will make more $ than a graduate from Bubba's School for Typewriter Maintenance because the didn't play each other in Trivial Pursuit. Yes, I know it's absolutely horrible that people might value the degree from Yale more and that the same people will value the schedule of a team like LSU over Tulane.

You are really making this argument? Perhaps you should drink more or drink less. You are crying for a perfect system but it may either be unfeasible, or simply out of our reach because of the university presidents' determination. Regardless, the system we have now is by far better than it has been in the past, and it continues to improve.

You should probably relax and enjoy that LSU is flourishing despite a flawed system and not because of it.:yelwink2:

4. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

I don't understand why people are so intent on discrediting me over my argument.

I also don't understand why people draw the conclusion that complaining against the existing system is being unsatisfied with anything but a perfect system.

For crying out loud, I'm saying that the current system is about as far from perfect as we can get without the BCS deciding the national champion before the season begins. Teams are led to believe that they're playing for all the marbles. And that is a lie. You're playing for all the marbles if the system happens to deem you worthy to do so. That's an injustice too great to attribute to "the nature of the system."

I don't contend that LSU is only flourishing because of the system. I'm just wondering how people can't see the hypocricy in praising the BCS when it benefits us and condemning it when it screws us.

2 people like this.
  5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

It's better than the old system. Look at '04 as an example. Without the BCS, USC would have played in the Rose Bowl, OU in the Fiesta, and Auburn in the Sugar.
    End of Bowls sees 3 teams still unbeaten. At least this way, we got to see 2 of them play each other.

6. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

At this point, the BCS isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. There have been tons of seasons when a team went undefeated and didn't win the championship. So what?

1. Schedule a tough slate of games.
    2. Win all of them

If a team has not done 1 or 2, they shouldn't bellyache too much.

7. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

Then perhaps there is hope of reality asserting itself in the end.

8. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Certainly not trying to be personal, but the title of the thread suggests that you may be a bit uptight over this. I agree that the system is flawed and would also say that the election process for president is a sad shadow of the founders' intent, but I still vote. You would suggest that we boycott in protest in order to fix a flawed system because people have an opinion that we are better than the next guy. The very concept just seems foreign to me.

9. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

According to Oregon, we've done neither.

According to us, Oregon hasn't either.

10. tenebrism

tenebrism Founding Member

couldn't agree with you more atreus.