I'm at my wits' end.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Atreus21, Nov 12, 2007.

1. clair

clair Rockets

listen.. you're preaching to the choir... i know that...

all i am saying is that any system is imperfect, because ultimately someone will have a beef, whether No. 5 or No. 3.

my solution would be to have a tournament with all the conference champions (11) and have the top 5 at large teams get in.

that also is imperfect, but at least you have 11 concrete teams who we know would def. go.

the big problem obviously is the squash games when Florida would play a North Texas, but it's the only way to sort of eliminate the discretion ya'll all said was a problem.

imho, the BCS really isn't bad. it's had its fault, but find me a year so far in which the best team didn't win it all.

2. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

Suppose we were undefeated, and ranked 3rd behind a 3 loss USC, and a 4 loss Oklahoma. Would your advice be the same?

It's really easy to just let it go when we're not getting screwed over.

3. clair

clair Rockets

this is just so supernatural, b/c none of that could and would ever happen.

that's like saying that football in general is stupid because an official can decide to throw a penalty every play to blackball your team from winning.

it technically could happen, but it wouldn't ever happen, just like the above scenario.

4. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

Can you find any season of the BCS era where a 3 or 4 loss team finished in the top 2? If we were fans of a non-BCS team, such as Hawaii this year, this would make more sense... Hawaii could go undefeated this season and they have zero chance of making the top 2.

5. clair

clair Rockets

in which case they don't deserve to be there. they had 4 nonconference slots on their schedule this year and they chose to fill them with D-2 cupcakes to break records for their pansy QB.

6. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

I could go along with that. My preferred plan is now a 12-team playoff like the one set forth by John Feinstein, with a modification that allows any undefeated teams not otherwise in the playoffs to be given to worst/lowest seeds.

7. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

Is it so hard to imagine? In 1998, prior to the National Championship game, Tulane was undefeated, and ranked outside of the top 3, behind at least Tennesee, who was undefeated, and FSU, a 1-loss team. The sole reasoning for this was a percieved weakness of schedule, which is an unfair basis on which to assume the weakness or strength of a team.

8. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

Well, I don't know all of the details, but I've seen reports that multiple Div. 1-A teams, including Michigan State and maybe Florida, backed out of deals to play them in Hawaii. LSU has been burned in the past by teams backing out, so I have a little sympathy if that's true.

9. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

I know that - Tulane, like Hawaii, is not in a BCS conference. (Marshall and Boise State have also gone undefeated within the last decade, if I recall correctly.)

10. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

Yes, and it's grossly unfair that they have to settle for something other than a shot at the National Title because someone outside of their team's ability decided as such.