If Saban is such a genius why did he fail with the Dolphins?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Rex, Jan 11, 2017.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Every elite school does in some form or fashion. Bama may just be paying more. The trick is not getting caught.

furduknfish and BiggDogg1981 like this.
  2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Well, to paraphrase Skip Bertman, it's because he's "a screamer". Some coaches simply do not translate over to Pro ball and vice versa. Spurrier didn't do too well in the NFL, but we saw him do well at two different programs in the SEC, neither of which were doing too well when he took over.

3. Guido Merkins

Guido Merkins Founding Member

I meant easier in terms of being able to just reload every year. The NFL has a salary cap and you only get 1 first round pick every year.

Honestly, though. Pro coaches don't really have time off either. As soon as the season is over, you are immediately into evaluating your roster and college scouting. The combine is coming up...

Brian and furduknfish like this.
  4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Versus getting the job he has now.

5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

You guys remember the running joke about Phyllis from Mulga? She was out there.

@Rex A differenty father kind of thing?

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Saban has to yell to get his point across. Belichick just has to look at you.

ROY_LA_CA likes this.
  8. rockwallfan

rockwallfan Founding Member

saban is a great recruiter and a good coach. if he was a great coach he would win NC every year because he has the best recruiting classes year after year. clemson taught us that, again. i'd bet that if we had a few other coaches with the recruiting classes we've had that we could've won at least some of the bama games.

TwistedTiger and Brian like this.
  9. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

Saban has a silver tongue with highschool boys. He wins with overwhelming talent, - that's about it. The NFL's parity exposes his many issues & failings as a real coach.

It's a shame that so many of his Bama recruits ride the pine their entire college career when elsewhere they may have had stellar careers. They may have developed into NFL draftees with that kind of playing time & exposure. But Saban doesn't give a shit.

10. Rouxleaux

Rouxleaux Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?

Interesting take on this. I do find it interesting that a fair amount of gumps go to the NFL and flop.