If Cleveland Browns hire Michael Lombardi, Alabama's Nick Saban would be likely head coach target

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by TIGRIS PANTHERA, Dec 10, 2012.

1. TIGRIS PANTHERA

TIGRIS PANTHERA Veteran Member

[​IMG]

Report: If Cleveland Browns hire Michael Lombardi, Alabama's Nick Saban would be likely head coach target
    Andrew Gribble | [email protected]
    Posted: 12/09/2012 1:11 PM
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    TUSCALOOSA, Alabama -- According to a report in today's Boston Globe, Nick Saban could be targeted as the Cleveland Browns' next head coach if the woebegone franchise hires one of his former colleagues as general manager.

Michael Lombardi, an analyst for the NFL Network, could be in line to become Cleveland's next general manager if new owner Jimmy Haslam and team president Joe Banner cut ties with current GM Tom Heckert, according to the report, which cites anonymous NFL sources. The organization has already parted ways with president Mike Holmgren since Haslam took over as the team's owner in October, and there have been no guarantees made about the future of Heckert or coach Pat Shurmur.

The Browns are currently 4-8, went 4-12 in 2011 and have had just two winning seasons since 1999.

Lombardi and Saban worked together during the 90s, when Saban was the Browns' defensive coordinator and Lombardi was the Director of Player Personnel.

According to the report, Saban has "let it be known that if he returns to the NFL ... it would likely be with Lombardi playing (Scott) Pioli to his (Bill) Belichick."

Pioli, who is now the Kansas City Chiefs' general manager, and Belichick, a close friend of Saban's, won three Super Bowls together with the New England Patriots.

If Saban opted to stay at Alabama, Oregon coach Chip Kelly and former Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels would be Lombardi's next two choices, according to the report.

Saban went 15-17 over two seasons as the head coach of the Miami Dolphins before he left in 2007 to become Alabama's head coach.

In an interview Friday with the Smashmouth Radio Network on ESPN 97.3 The Zone in Birmingham, Saban's wife, Terry, strongly denied that her husband had any interest in rebuilding another college program or returning to the NFL.

“To answer your question and get right to the point, no,” she said. “We’re very comfortable here. We love it here. It’s a great fit for our family. It’s a good fit for me. As far as we’re concerned, this is where we’ll retire someday.

“As far as jobs go, this is it for us. I don’t mean to be presumptuous. I would have to talk this over with Nick, but as far as I’m concerned, this is it.”

2. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Do you think he would leave before January?

3. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Talk about unprecedented. If Saban took the job before the national championship game, that would be incredible. But I don't think he takes it period.

4. Expat

Expat Veteran Member

Agree. I don't see Saban going back to the pros.

But, if he does and flames out after say 3 years, which SEC West team would he coach when he comes back to the college ranks? My bet is Auburn.

5. Pintoracer

Pintoracer Somewhere in The Matrix

He'll wait til Christmas! Lol

Richdog likes this.
  6. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

Prick Saban will go to Cleveland if he damn well pleases regardless of what Terry has to say. That little bastard will have her packing bags and loading the wagons.

gyver and Winston1 like this.
  7. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Nah, Sexton makes a quick call to the BR hierarchy. Suddenly, Les is out with a just finished 12-1 record. LSU fans rejoice, causing panic and riots in the streets for 3 days. The mayor calls for a state holiday and declares an amnesty for the returning prodigal son. In an awkward show of gratitude, Nick promises to never leave his purple home again, unless something unusual manifest itself, just east of here. In other related news, Bama prepares themselves for their 6 NC in 7 years.

8. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

So many things to weigh...In fact I doubt he leaves but if he decides to it doesn't matter what day it is... it will be the day he thinks is best for him.

Reasons he will stay 1) His process is in place and he is working it as well as possible. 2) He has shifted goals and to be considered the greatest college coach ever is now his end all. BTW I can't see him leaving the gump machine for any college gig.

Reasons he will leave 1) His goal of being a successful pro coach is still his final goal....if that is so then he will need to be able to control conditions based on what he learned at Miami. The fucker does learn and apply what he learns...he is better in all phases of coaching in gumpland than he was at LSU. 2) He is from the area and has background there. I doubt if he has any loyalty (except to himself) or nostalgia but if he does Cleveland is where they would be.

Can you imagine the knashing and wailing that will occur in gumpville if he leaves? It would be historic and so fitting to see the massive meltdown that would occur in tuscalooser. To have it happen before the BCSNCG would be even better.

There can be no doubt that the wheels are turning and he will do what suits him no matter the cost to family or to UAt. He is a damn good coach but a selfserving bastard with" little man" syndrone who cares for no one but himself. It would be poetic justice to see him leave gumpville in ruins and smash his legacy on the rocks and schoals of Cleveland.

9. seabrookcajun

seabrookcajun Founding Member

The fact that Kirby Smart is not showing interest to be a head coach at other schools does make me wonder.

10. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Saban aint going anywhere.....
    He once said his biggest regret was leaving LSU.
    I doubt he makes the same mistake twice.

TUSKtimes and luvdimtigers like this.