I'd like Tom Herman to replace Miles

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DownOnTheBayou, Nov 23, 2015.

1. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

The guy is a great offensive coach. Everywhere he goes (Rice, Texas St, Iowa St, and OSU), his offenses are great and at some point ranked in the top 10.

The previous 2 years at OSU, they averaged over 500 yds/gm and 45 pts/gm. And last year was epically good winning a NC with their 3rd string QB. They had no business winning it all after their 1st and 2nd string QB went down. But great coaching can overcome that. Can you imagine what would happen if our top 2 QBs would go down?? I don't even think we even have a 3rd string QB.

Now look at OSU's offense this year! Nearly 90 yds/gm fewer and 10 pts/gm fewer. Plus this past weekend was the fewest yds ever gained for an Urban Meyer coached football team. They have the same QBs and one of the best backs in football, but not Herman. Coincidence?

I know he only has this year at Houston as head coaching experience, but I'd like to give him a shot. And he's only 40 yrs old. I just don't want a Chip Kelly, who's never won anything with his cute offense, nor a Dumbo Fisher who supports rapists.

The last 2 coaches we took a chance on each brought us a NC. So we've had success in that dept.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

If this happens I would be so disappointed.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Tirk and myself included. Maybe some others as well.

msully and GregLSU like this.
  4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

He's been mentioned in several threads and would be a quality choice IMO. He does fall into the up and comer catagory, but I think that's where LSU will end up looking anyway. I posted this a couple days ago.

"In 2007, Herman then followed head coach David Bailiff from Texas State to form the new coaching staff at Rice. With a reputation for engineering high-powered offensive attacks, Herman’s offense smashed nearly 40 offensive records during his first season as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the Owls.[citation needed]

Rice ranked in the Top 10 nationally in 2008 in passing offense (5th; 327.8), scoring offense (T8th; 41.6) and total offense (10th; 472.3). Two Rice receivers had more than 1,300 yards receiving that year, tight end James Casey had 111 catches and quarterback Chase Clement was the Conference USA MVP"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Herman_(American_football)

GregLSU likes this.
  5. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Yeah, I'm not huge on this guy either. You can make anyone look good on paper. He may be good, but far from a sure thing.

6. TwistedTiger

So if Saxton and Jimbo are just playing LSU or if FSU matches LSUs offer or if he just decides to stay at FSU, what's next? I haven't heard one single legitimate established HC mentioned that LSU has a snowballs chance in hell to get other than Fisher. I hope to hell the LSU establishment isn't so singularly focused on Jimbo that it's him or promote Peveto. So Jimbo or who? Please PLEASE don't say Mullen or you might read about me going postal in the paper tomorrow.

StaceyO likes this.
  7. TwistedTiger

Who is your sure thing? Jimbo? Maybe, but if he stays at FSU then what? Make sure you give me a sure thing answer.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I have really bad commitment issues. I'm already waffling on whoever at this point.

StaceyO likes this.
  9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Count me in

10. TwistedTiger

So again, Jimbo or who? If for some strange reason this extreme longshot falls through who is next?