I now firmly believe that the Burrow family will balk at Cincy drafting him

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

tampa bay vipers need a qb

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Theyre a complete shit show no matter what stats they dig up. Jb can keep them at. 500.

Sourdoughman and islstl like this.
  3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

There’s sometimes a fine line between confidence and arrogance.

4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

If he can stay healthy behind that o-line.

Sourdoughman and xlnsports like this.
  5. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

So if Burrow says no, does the nfl fully bar him from free agency? Can y’all fill us in on what leverage Burrow has?

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If he sat out the year he would be a part of the 2021 draft where there is no guarantee that he would be the first pick. The threat of that worked for John Elway and Eli Manning but I hear that Bengals owner Mike Brown is so stubborn that he would call Burrow's bluff and let him sit.

Sourdoughman and lsu-i-like like this.
  7. Brian

Brian Founding Member

He has next to no leverage. It's all public perception. Eli Manning had family money and clout to force the Chargers to trade him and it almost didn't happen. Had Ernie Accorsi not been so sold on Eli for the Giants he probably is a Charger. He might have legitimately sat out though. We will never know.

Elway had the threat of playing pro baseball to aid his threat and force a trade.

Burrow can publicly and privately tell the Bengals that he won't play for them. They would still own his player rights if they draft him. His only recourse then would be to hold out. If he did not sign and held out the entire year he'd go back into the next NFL draft. The Bengals would lose his rights and would have wasted their pick on him.

But Joe would be costing himself a year of huge money and potentially hurt his draft stock the next year and he'd not play for a year? No guarantee he'd go first overall next year. He's got very little leverage truly other than public perception.

Edit: In fact, he'd probably have a better chance to force a trade by publically being quiet and privately yelling at the Bengals he won't sign which would give them a chance to get the largest compensation in a trade. If he's publically saying he won't go to Cincy then the team trying to trade for him can offer less because they weaken the Bengals trade leverage.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    lsu-i-like, shane0911 and Bengal B like this.
  8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

He can sit out and get picked by the Bungles again!

65Grad, lsu-i-like and el005639 like this.
  9. unclenick

unclenick LSU & USMC

10. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I doubt the Bengals want to lose their first round pick, so he has some leverage. It would be a risk, but getting paid less on a good team would be a long term investment.