I like Etling. He plays with fire. But its time to move on...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Rouxleaux

Rouxleaux Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?

Hell we have two catches, instead of drops, this game would have been a whole lot different. Grant it that one was over thrown and the other was under thrown but both were catch able balls. Our WRs needed to step up.

2. Rouxleaux

Rouxleaux Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?

My impression is he is working with what he has. His oline has been hurt and learning most of the year, his QB has not been able to check down, and has been some what streaky on the passes that he has thrown. I am not bashing etling b/c he is the guy right now. Next year will be the year we see what Canada can do or not do. I do think the wrinkles he has added and then add a good oline and a passing attack we could have a very effective offense next year

3. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

I think you are right. He had a great passing offense at Pitt

kcal and ROY_LA_CA like this.
  4. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

With you on this one. His miss direction offense can open up running lanes even against Bama. We desperately need a true passing attack to augment it.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

See how much weight Brennan can put on, get a look at Narciesse as well. Put a juco or 3 on both lines and who knows.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  6. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Frankly I think the OL will be pretty good next year if the same 5 who started Sat return. They more than held their own with 3 freshmen in.
    JUCO help for depth maybe but this is the best job Grimes has done when you consider the injuries and attrition. This group has improved every week/game. Measuring where they started against where they are now is like night and day.

65Grad and lsu-i-like like this.
  7. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

Sorry if I was unclear. Wasn't suggesting what you're implying. Ohio State and Clemson run lots of pro-style sets. Oklahoma as well. You don't have to go to a spread or a full-on read option for a full game. Absolutely agree with the 5-yards assessment. If you can pick up 5 yards you can also move a pocket to buy time.

A statue ain't crossing that hurdle. But it's got to be someone with the arm talent to beat everyone else not named Bama too. True, fast doesn't equal mobile. Mobile just equals not immobile, LOL.

Bengal B, tirk and Pjoe like this.
  8. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Wanted his butt fired earlier in the year, but might have been wrong. His lines seem to improve through the year. Need more consistency but some of that is out of his hands.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Somebody like Baker Mayfield who is very accurate and makes quick decisions could beat Bama. Bama is -140 to win it all. Oklahoma is +1700.

10. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

To me, what we see as our offense - isn't rocket science.....

- We run a lot and a lot of jet sweeps because we don't have a dominant downhill run-blocking OLine, yet. The eye-candy / window dressing is to keep defenses from being able to zero in on exactly what play we're running, like in year's past.

- We run a lot because Etling is not even an average passer. We would be more aggressive in the passing game, IF WE COULD.

- We run a lot to keep us out of 3rd and obvious passing downs with our mediocre QB.

- We run a lot because Guice and Williams are more than reliable weapons.

- We run a lot because it shortens the game and keeps our D off the field. Complimentary football.

I like Etling. I think he gives us everything he has and that's to be respected. I love his effort.

But here's the cold, hard truth -- if our coaches thought Brennan was better, he would be playing.

And the narrative that you need a mobile QB to beat Alabama - that's false.

You need a playmaker. A QB that can make throws, move the chains, and put points on the board.
    You also need a defense that can stop Bama and create a few turnovers.
    And Special Teams. You need ST that can win the field position battle, make FG's, etc.

Bama has been better than us in at least 2 of the 3 phases of the game for the last several years. We have to close the gap in all 3 phases before we can become a championship caliber team.

kcal, Winston1, lsu-i-like and 3 others like this.