I like Etling. He plays with fire. But its time to move on...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Nov 5, 2017.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

People like that mouthpiece Matt Moscona have been crying about Etling all year. I honestly believe that Brennan was not the best option early on. Etling is a warrior. His attitude reminds me of people like Flynn and Hester, but the guy just doesn't have the talent.

At this point with the West being all but officially out of reach I have to jump on the Brennan bandwagon.
    LSU has clinched a bowl spot.
    Tennessee, aTm, and Arkansas should be layups for this defense.
    Tell Etling, "Thank you for your service," put Brennan in, and start preparing for next year. Play him now and you have a full two months (including the bowl game) to work with him and prepare him for next season.

TheRealist and Rouxleaux like this.
  2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Not how it works. When youre in a pressure cooker as HC like LSU your goal is to win the next game and next game only.

In an ideal situation you'd build for next year. In reality every win means everything and that's why etling will start against r-kansas and every game the rest of the season. Unless we lose.

Brian, BiggDogg1981, GregLSU and 6 others like this.
  3. Guido Merkins

Guido Merkins Founding Member

I actually agree. If LSU can’t win the next two games against those train wrecks, even with a freshman QB, they should be ashamed.

Texas A&M might be tricky, but oh well. Get the kid used to the SEC.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Absolutely correct. You have to finish this season, and finish strong. Etling is good enough to lead the Tigers to victory the rest of the way.

Long term, LSU has to get big play making ability on a consistent basis at the qb position. Alabama isn't getting beat anymore by teams with mediocre qb play. It takes big play ability at the qb position. What you saw Jalen Hurts do last night to LSU is how you beat Alabama.

GregLSU and fanatic like this.
  5. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

Bama became a straight up behemoth in 2011, even with the GOTC loss. Since that time, Cardale Jones, Johnny Manziel, Deshaun Watson, Chad Kelly, Trevor Knight, and...forget the Aubbie QB, have been the only guys to beat bama. Whether they were truly special college QBs (Deshaun, Manziel, Kelly) or lightning in a bottle for a night (Knight, Jones, Aubie guy) they were all dynamic at least that night. They were tough, accurate, and either very mobile, or at least mobile enough to evade pressure, move the pocket, and make huge plays against consistently great defenses.

I like Brennans arm. I think I recall he's not exactly a statue but he's also not exactly mobile. If he isn't at least mobile enough to be a run or pass threat, he's not beating bama either. I know you guys loathe runners but a mobile guy with a great arm wins the SEC with the kind of defenses LSU fields. Those guys aren't easy to find. I think the next great one just chose to stay in Georgia.

As much as Brennan is discussed, is Narcisse really the guy we should be hoping flicks the switch?

ParadiseiNC, 65Grad and Bayou Tiger like this.
  6. LaSalleAve

I think I agree with you. I think Narcisse's knees are the reason we haven't seen him yet but this is the big story for me going into next season.

Brian likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The Aubie QB that year wasn't really a great runner or passer. Auburn just had a once in a lifetime run of luck that year.
    After LSU beat them rather easily I thought they would lose a few more games.

8. LaSalleAve

Nick Marshall was definitely better than Etling.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I said he wasn't a good runner or passer. He was a much bwtter tunner than Etling and about even par as a passer.

10. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

Utah beat Bama and I dont think their QB ran much because of bad knees or something. It can be done. Could have happened last night with a little better execution.

furduknfish and 65Grad like this.