I actually feel sorry for Ohio State fans...

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Andouille, Jan 5, 2009.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

thats why he narrowed it to bcs bowls.

2. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Not exactly. Ohio State gets blown out and, therefore, the conference stinks. Isn't that the general thinking?
    My point is the rest of the conference has done well against the SEC in their matchups of late... so I how someone can judge an entire conference just on how one team fails to match up in a big game.
    There's a body of work element involved if your trying to judge the depth of a conference, that's all.

(and your 7th best SEC team vs someone's 2nd best team scenario doesn't hold water, at least regarding your matchups with the Big Ten)

3. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

To be fair, the only bowl that has that kind of disparity is the Peach Bowl (or Chick-Fil-A, whatever), which matches the #2 ACC team against the #5 SEC team, in years when each conference sends ONE team to the BCS. The problem is that in most years, the SEC gets two, so your #2 ACC vs. #5 SEC turns into #2 ACC vs. #6 SEC. Other match-ups with the ACC aren't very favorable, either, but that one is the worst.

The only bowl tie-ins that the SEC and B10 share are the Capital One (#2 B10 vs. #2 SEC), and the Outback (#3 B10 vs. #4 SEC). Again, though, in most years, the Capital One ends up being #2 B10 vs. #3 SEC, and the Outback #3 B10 vs. #5 SEC. Not as bad as 7th best vs. 2nd best, but still a separation.

1 person likes this.
  4. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

judging on the big ten's win-loss totals in bowl games as a whole, there is evidence of such an arguement. OSU just gets it all because they are the big boys of the big ten, or at least they are labeled that by many media outlets.

5. KajunExpress

KajunExpress Freshman

Feel sorry??..There Over Rated!!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

runner-up to the big 10, penn state being blown out by USCw just solidified the fact that the big-10/11 cannot compete against the top competition.

im not even sure why anyone still argues against it.

everyone outside of the big10/11 is aware of it.

you guys can continue getting shellacked or make changes and become valid again.

and you could start by beating a usually over-hyped OSU team.

you can blame OSU for not showing up in the big games. but at least they are there. whats that say about the rest of the conference?

ill help. it means you are worse than them.

7. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

1 person likes this.
  8. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Post from that same site. I'm really enjoying reading their back and forth...

http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/...97-chick-fil-bowl-lsu-38-ga-tech-3-final.html

:hihi:

1 person likes this.
  9. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Not true. The Big Ten has had two BCS participants 7 times and the SEC has had two five times. The CapOne picks before either the Cotton or the Outback... so "most years", as you say is not factual.

This year Iowa had the 5th best record in the Big Ten and South Carolina had the 5th best record in the SEC.... look back over the past ten years and you will see what I'm talking about.

10. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I read and post there pretty regular since we were announced to be playing them for BCS CG.

For the most part, there a pretty good and respectful group. Sure they have their group of haters (like we do here) But as a whole, they do respect our program.