Hurricane Ida

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Buzz69, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

this is a good example of a time when anti-price gouging laws hurt us. gas is really hard to get because people line up for hours and fill their massive trucks with a thousand gallons and as many gas cans as they can find.

if gas were $20 a gallon, people like me could get a gallon for my motorbike, and the pump wouldnt have a line to mongolia blocking traffic for 3 blocks from the station. my motorbike gets 125 MPG.

also, if there was massive profit, gas companies would have every tanker available heading at high speed to the area of need. price gouging saves lives, by keeping items at market prices, which discourages hoarding.

without price gougin, gas is far below market price, which means there is no supply easily available. my car is almost dry so i went exclusively motorbike on my daily runs to deliver ice to my parents, who have no power and cant stay with me becasue i live in an upstairs apt and they are too old to go up stairs.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  2. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Well there are 7 refineries between Baton Rouge and south of New Orleans that are shut down because of this. Gas is hard to get because it’s not being produced and if the pipelines are down too you Hany get it.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I will sell you all the gas you want at $20/gal

Tell me how much you need and I'm on my way

tirk and kcal like this.
  4. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

even more reason to raise prices, get more delivery in here from elsewhere

Winston1 likes this.
  5. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

my motorcycle only holds 1.2 gallons.

if prices were at market rates there would be no lines. market prices are the most efficient way to distribute scarce goods.

higher prices also prevent hoarding. i dont need clowns filling up the F350 every day and driving like mad. i want price to help manage supply

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

This is the side of the cooling trailer at the Saint practice facility in Metairie. It weighs 6.5 tons. Ida moved it 10 feet.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Every gas station in the Morgan City/Berwick/Patterson area has had a line 500 yards long to get in whenever they've had gas over the last 4 days. Some people are pulling trailers with 100-gallon bulk tanks. Another person had a trailer with - I counted them - 16 five gallon cans. I try to be understanding - I have no idea what these people's situations are, and I know we are getting a lot of evacuees from Terrebonne, Lafourche and St. Charles through here - but sometimes its not easy. The grocery store shelves are pretty bare too. We're going to Broussard tomorrow to visit our son, and we're planning to gas up and go grocery shopping there.

8. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I stopped in Scott today driving back from Houston. The lines weren’t too bad only one or two cars per pump long. People were pretty cool.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

So, a 55 gal drum should last you a while

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

maybe he was getting gas for a handful of families.

walmark stops you @ $75. I filled up 5 jugs and topped off my truck. racetrac was a quarter more so i waited at the clusterphuck at sam waltons. dont forget to change your oil in those damn generators. i already am tired of running that thing. i know its tired too.