How do I cook a steak without a grill?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by mobius481, Jan 21, 2013.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You will contradict me if I say the sky is blue. o_O Look Dooooood . . . I am speaking about what I LIKE. You can't tell me I'm wrong about what I like.

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Pretty sure he was referring to what YOU said about HOW restaurants serve steaks...in which case, you WOULD be wrong. If you want to impress us, admit it- for once. ;)

sure you want to impress us.

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Boss, you can like your steak however you like it. What I was saying is that good steakhouses let steaks rest before serving them. A properly cooked and rested steak will leave little juice on your plate. If you cut into your steak and juice runs all over the place, it was cooked by a piss poor chef. That isn't my opinion. It is basic culinary science.

4. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

I like the juice on the plate. I sop it up with the dinner rolls. Thanks for the info Supa. I didn't know that.

5. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

The best steak has a good sear on both sides but is still purple on the inside. Imo rare is the only way to go with a steak. I won't eat steak at a restaurant since most places in my experiences over cook them. Sauted onions, mushrooms and jalapenos are always an added bonus.

6. red55

Pretty sure I know what steaks and steakhouses that I like and that you don't. I'm with gyver (for once) and I like natural gravy on the plate. Plus I eat steaks medium, not bloody rare and excess juices are not a problem. If it is there, I sop it up with bread and I like it. Some folks send steaks back if they are not cooked perfectly . . . I send them back if they aren't hot.

I'll ask you when I want to know how to serve a turtle, Alphonse.

7. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

Despite his recent improvement, it would take him years to catch enough turtles to gather enough meat to serve any dish, he only gets the itty bitty ones....

8. LSUsupaFan

Again, nobody is questioning what you like or the way the places you like prepare their food. Is that clear? Let me state it again since you missed it the first couple times. Nobody is questioning your taste in steak. Stated another way, nobody is questioning your opinion. We all recognize that nobody knows your peculiar opinions better than you do.

I objected to your statement that the best steakhouses serve steaks hot and directly from the chef. This is wrong. The best steakhouses, places like Mr. John's, rest cuts of meat before serving them.

If you want all the flavor of your steak on your dinner role that is your business. A good chef will want the steak they prepared toretain that flavor, and will prepare it properly.

KyleK likes this.
  9. LSUsupaFan

I only order it rare if the chef won't prepare it blue, but I am like you I rarely order steak in a restaurant because if you order a steak rare, you usually get it medium.

10. red55

Perhaps what YOU consider the best steak houses and what I consider may be different. Any good restaurant will serve food hot and "directly from the chef" might include steaks hot off the grill or steaks allowed to "rest" a few minutes. I doubt a reputable chef lets his runners decide when a steak is ready to be taken to the customer.

I further suggest that your taste for "cold" center, bloody-rare steaks is not what most people eat. Most want them hot and my medium steaks never have bloody juices all over the plate, just some thin brown liquid and not much of that. I didn't object that you are "wrong" for liking raw meat, just that I like mine differently. And I like steakhouses that serve it the way I like it. You dislike all the hamburger places that I like, too. That doesn't make them "wrong". Compre?