How did this baseball program fall this quickly?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Don Castavez, May 2, 2018.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

60% chance of snow.

2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

When you have to add caveats to defend a top coach, they might not be a top coach. I was pretty impressed with the run, and I expect when I do research Maineri will be running a top 10 program. Curious if he has a top 5 program. Doesn’t seem like the top program. Where you think Paul’s LSU falls in with other top programs?

six pack dan likes this.
  3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I think those are unrealistic expectations. The rules aren't the same as they were back in the day and I'm not just talking about the bbcor bats. The scholarships rules have been nerfed in an effort to increase parity. That doesn't mean a team can't be loaded, especially if their talent decides to stay in school instead of taking the money and turning pro (like our guys did last year), but these days it's the exception rather than the norm. Do I like it? No.. Even with the new baseballs, IMO the game is still unbalanced with too much emphasis on 'small ball' (which I personally HATE). But you either adapt or let the game pass you by.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Don't waste your breath trying to explain it to somebody who has no understanding of how baseball is fundamentally different from football.

cul2969 likes this.
  5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I fee like you guys compare this sport to football.

The talent gap you guys think we have simply doesn’t exist in College Baseball.

Recruiting and scholar ships are soo much different these days.

The team CPM took to # 2 last year wasn’t even his most talented at LSU.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

In my eyes. We would be a top 8 seed with Walker. He was THAT good.

7. lsu-i-like

I’m not talking this year, I mean over the past five or so years.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

You'd consider Florida the top sec program right? Prisoner of the moment.

They had never won the cws ever til last season.
    What are you talking about defending coaches. I think that's the problem. You think he's on trial. He's likely the most successful college baseball coach currently and I'm not a huge fan. Just shows the parity and certain people can't metabolize that. 6 straight national seeds. Only skip can be faultless in Omaha I'm afraid. Name a great college baseball coach. There's maybe 3 well known and they don't coach anymore. The winningest of all time has never even won it and he's still at Fsu going on 40 years.

Not even close. This year and last year are two of his best coaching jobs. This team doesn't belong on the same field depth wise with an ole miss or R-kansas this year due to injuries and attrition. Next year was the one we were to be in the mix.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Baseball isn't for everyone.

10. lsu-i-like

I’m not a huge fan of baseball, and y’all might be right. It sure doesn’t feel like LSU is the top program of the past five years or even of Maineri’s tenure. I’m reluctant to believe top 5. As far as the past 25 years, yes, but that includes Skip and the temporary detour into Lovall land.

I didn’t see us making the run at Hoover but I’d be really shocked if we make it out of PEDUw.

We are tops in attendance and fan support, a top 5 program should parallel that stat.