Hot spots when you were at LSU

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bolobolo, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Capt Fun

Capt Fun Founding Member

not many BTE stories....but probably could come up with a few Cowboy Mouth one...

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

And for all of you ex-bikers and freaks who hung around Magoo's . . . word is that Phil Brady himself will be the Grand Marshall of the Spanish Town Mardi Gras parade this spring. They asked Chad Lavalais, but he's expecting to be at NFL mini-camps at the time.

3. Dutchtown tiger

Dutchtown tiger Founding Member

I was at LSU from 95-00

Mondays-$2.00 pitchers at Sports Illustrated
    Tuesday-Boogies
    Wednesday-Murphy's before they shut it down in 97, after that it was Sports
    Thurs-Freds always was fun during this time. Superior Grill was a great spot b/c the bartenders nevered ID'd. Today it is still my favorite Thurs night place.
    Weekends-The Stadium Club now the Tiger was fun, when I turned 21, The Station and Southdowns was fun

Sunday Night was in the infamous Gator Bar in the Prairieville, Area.

4. Rocky Dijohn

Rocky Dijohn Freshman

I lived on Carlotta Street in the early 70's so I frequented bars in that vicinity. I bar-tended at the Brass Rail in 1977. Often sold plasma to the blood-bank on Chimes Street and drank up the proceeds next door at Magoo's. The Library was a good hangout too (call home and tell the parents you are studying "at the library). Past-Time lounge was legendary even then, and is still open in 2024! Ate greasy hangover breakfasts at the original Louie's on Chimes Street. Chief's out on Nicholson was a favorite ---- saw The Fabulous Thunderbirds there.

Chipeace likes this.
  5. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

Went to all these places…

Rocky Dijohn likes this.
  6. Mr. B

Mr. B Founding Member

7. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

I went to LSU in the early 70’s. The White Horse, The Keg, and the Past Time were the ones I remember best. There also was a place on Chimes St, but I can’t remember the name. It might have been the Magoo’s place mentioned. On Friday nights the place had pitchers (real pitchers, not the small one around now) for $1. The Library also sounds familiar but I can’t recall the location.. The Bengal, and Cotton Club were also around but I didn’t frequent either very often.

Chipeace and Rocky Dijohn like this.
  8. Rocky Dijohn

Rocky Dijohn Freshman

YES. That was my era and I fell on the Hippie side of the line, although I did have a few buddies who were frats. I had forgotten Dirty Pierre's! And you jogged my memory about the Varsity Theatre: I saw Willis Alan Ramsey perform there. Lots of great concerts at LSU (Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Boz Scaggs, Joni Mitchell......); a few in downtown clubs I do not remember (McGuinn, Clark & Hillman; BB King & Bobby Bland); and big acts at the civic center (Jackson Browne).

9. Rocky Dijohn

Rocky Dijohn Freshman

I got so wounded there on a Friday that it took me the rest of the weekend to get well. Loved the place. I was a bartender there later. I am trying to remember what 25 cent rot-gut whiskey we sold at those happy hours. Rebel Yell? Southern Comfort?

10. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

Plasma! When I discovered that gig it meant an extra taco at lunch! I was there 74-78, bet we were in same place at same time!