Hot spots when you were at LSU

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bolobolo, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

They had 25 cent whiskey on Fridays. I wish I could get a hamburger in this town as good as the ones they made in the Brass Rail.

Rocky Dijohn likes this.
  2. ledfoot

ledfoot Founding Member

It was Faps and Zachary's in tigerland for me. Early eighties. Also the Tiger Lair in back of tigerland. Before Murphy's it was the Longbranch. I can still smell the beer and piss on the wood floor.

3. Rex C.

Rex C. member

OK...1983-1988 was a blurr -but here it goes:

Uncle Earle's was as great a pool hall as there ever was

Alligator Hiton served food on Sunday nights

The Bengle was supurb -I miss it too

Murphy's was for frat-brats and knee-deep in fresham puke

The only thing worse that Murphy's was (and still is) Freds..oh
    yeah..and "Sports Illutsrated or "Sports" also sucked.

The Caterie was always a blast, great music and cozy

The Chimes was (and still is) the best place to mellow out, eat raw oysters for 25 cente on Tuesdays, and to order much pitchers of various colored beer

There was a place near Earl's and Southdown's called "Peppys" that was good for dancing.

"Electric Avenue" on Bennington also had great dance music

The "Common-Point" on Sherwood had an older crowd, we used to refer to it as "Divorce-point" -but again, good music

Hey, does anyone remember that great hmburger joint called "Round the Corner" that was where the Varsity is now?? They had some great food as I recall.

4. Capt Fun

Capt Fun Founding Member

Fred's, the Dugout, and the Caterie saw the most of me.

Got booted from the Caterie after a Tulane game,when, during the Guttersharks performance, a buddy of mine and I decided to go stage diving....off the balcony.

They were not happy.

5. bolobolo

bolobolo Founding Member

Anybody remember the Happy Note on Florida. We would hang out there sometimes with the "regulars" They served the STONGEST DRINKS. Very obscure place.

6. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

99-03 for this guy. Right now the places to go are Fred's, Bogie's (if you're Greek) etc. Basically anywhere in Tigerland is OK. Tigerbar a few years ago, we had a friend that worked there so we got in free. Let me tell you, I't gotten shitfaced many times at Tigerbar on Friday night (free drinks 8-11).

Recently, I've been to Southdowns (MILFs in the house), Fox and the Hound (nice laid back time, playing pool and shuffleboard) and Fred's if I'm going out in Tigerland. I've graduated recently and have lots of free time on my hands (no job med school in the future) and I think I drink 6 of 7 nights a week. I think I'm becoming an alcoholic. Good times.

7. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

The Bengal a few times. I used to live in Tigerland so I used to go to Sports or Fred's every now and then. The Caterie was my fav since they had live music. I also remember Razzy's, Plum Crazy and Peppy's. But when I was going to school I was bartending at The Common Point on Sherwood Forest so I didn't really frequent other places too much.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Man, I'd almost forgotton the San Souci. Fishbowl draft beers. You could get a platter of crawfish at 3:30 in the morning. It's a parking lot now.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Round the Corner had great burgers. There were phones at every booth that you would use to order your food. I thought Round the Corner was locally owned and not a chain but sometime in the 70's I was in Boulder, Colorado and there was a Round the Corner there. Same setup with the phones and same great burgers.

10. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

red55, I retract all previous statements about you based on your recounting of your times at Louisiana State University...

I especially loved, "Pot was $10 an ounce, and we thought it was expensive,"

I wonder, red...Is that in comparison to your cost today? ;-)

I've been going off and on to LSU since the fall of 1997...

I have a different experience in that most of my friends were not going and did not go to college. They did, however, work shift work at the same welding shop. There was always a group of three-four who were working one set of "four on" while the other group was on their "Four off". I only had two good friends in school, but even though they were at SLU, they were into the nightlife scene around BR like I was, thankfully.

I found a job at United Companies in which I worked each afternoon-evening from 3-9pm. This meant I could schedule classes three days a week, and none before around 9:30, which basically meant a few things...

1.) I could go out every night.
    2.) There was always one group of friends on there "4 off" from the fab shop...
    3.) I made great money as an 18-19 year old kid for a great company with a boss that knew what it was like to be a college student.

My usual lineup on a weekly basis...

Monday Nights-Sports Illustrated/Sports/Reggies...$.25 cent shots (weak), and you could buy a rack (approximately 50-75) STRONG jell-O shots for $11.00, but only if you were either "cool" or 21. They'd sell those weak shots to anyone, but you had to be "in" the loop to get the racks.

The best memories were to bring a rack of shots back across the crowded throngs of undecided majors and pledges to the dance floor, to "be friendly" to your newly found lady friends as they danced to "Nasty Dancer" and "Brass Monkey" on the dance floor.

They thought you were nice...You just made sure they got PLENTY of shots in their system, and let them know what a great driver you were...

Many interesting early morning escapades resulted. Oh...You could drink whatever you wanted at Sports, as long as you poured your drink into the "Black cups" They had on the bar. Those were supposed to be intended for non alcoholic drinks that "Designated Drivers" were supposed to use...YEAH RIGHT!

The other thing I remember about Sports is my non-college friends absolutely LOVING kicking those freshmen frat pledge's asses out in the parking lot at 2:00am. That place was a warzone every Monday night at closing time back in the day...Absolute fracas every single Monday night. WAFB used to come out and tape to see if they could get some good stuff....

I remember looking into the camera, and realizing it was on, and I had a drink in my hand...I looked up, the cameraman smiled, and I just said, "MOM, I SWEAR IT'S ORANGE JUICE!"

That one actually made it on the air...Thank God dad lived out of state....;-)

Tuesday Nights-The Caterie. The "older collegiate female crowd" was out there, mainly looking to make love to the band from the dance floor. Lots of leg to be found, and great drink specials, though they were tougher if you were underage. Great change of pace from the club atmosphere, as someone already stated. Liquid Sand, and the almost cult-like following of legendary cover band Spank the Monkey fueled many a Tuesday night benders...

Wednesday Nights-Texas Club Ladies' Nights...I can still remember the advertisements on the radio...."Guys, the doors open to you at 9pm, and the ladies will be waiting!"

Ladies got drink specials and the opportunity to get tuned up and hormonally enraged by the All American Male Dance Review that performed early to a female only audience on Wednesday nights. By the time the guys got let in, it was all downhill after that. Just make sure you brushed your teeth and put on the cologne. You were two drinks and a few winks away from having to come up with an excuse for why you didn't make it home...

Thursday Nights-AAA Bar and Grille/The Keg in Lafayette. Most of the time, we'd lay low on Thursday nights if we didn't either deicde to make a roadtrip out to the strip in Laffayette and/or hit on the "of age" female crowd that populated AAA bar and grille. Like Texas Club, the ownership (Which was the same guy) at AAA was SUPER STRICT on drinking, and you couldn't get much action generated with a HUGE BLACK X on both hands. I found a way around it, however, by applying roll on deodorant onto the tops of my wrists. After getting the X, you headed straight to the bathroom, and with a few pumps of handsoap, the DO, and the X, was totally gone....and so was your sobriety...

Friday Nights was the Tiger Bar. Formerly Stadium Club, but changed midstream while we were frequenting the joint. I've got some AMAZING memories of that joint. Met the first of two female mistakes I've made in my life there...

Lots of collegiate aged cuties there bouncing their buxom bodies to the beats of the DJ there...Mainly rap and hip-hop tunes on the dance floor, but it made for a rowdier female collective mindset. The pints of beeyahs were pretty amazing...I was on a "Hardcore" apple cider kick back in the day....That shit was lethal....After 7 or 8 pints...

Saturday's were a grab bag...We started out at Spanky's or Lambert's RBD's on Sherwood at Coursey and South Flannery and Choctaw...RBD's was a 24 hour pool hall/kitchen, and I can remember many nights starting out and ending there. I've got some photos of my friends and I cooking our own breakfast while we gave the kitchen help our table and rack...

Texas Club again, Triple A, Nightlife (Old Glenn's Bombay), Element (later on-former AAA), The Gold Club, Topcats, Cinnamin's, The Metro in New Orleans, Bourbon Street, the Plaza in Lafayette...etc...

Sunday nights were legendary at the Gator Bar...Absolutely amazing....

One pool table, a long shack looking building with a bar on one end and two chairs with some amps on the other...Two guys with acoustic guitars that played whatever you wanted to hear...

Dollar bills signed, dated, and pinned to the ceiling, girls dancing and stripping on the pool tables after the joint go so packed people started standing on the pool table...

It's gotten a lot more "homogenized" as of late with a lot more "sophisticated" crowd looking down on those of us looking for a way to send the Sunday nights off right in a rowdy manner...This has a lot to do with a lot of the waitstaff at Ruffino's heading down there after closing time...

My favorite memory of that joint is seeing their dog drinking beer out of paper plates on the floor, and then scarfing down the Red Beans and Rice or the White Beans and Rice the ownership cooked up to help sober everyone up for the long treacherous drive down Alligator Bayou Road on that gravel road!

Great memories...Good times...Young women....Lots of alcohol....Still breathing....Quite thankful....