Hot spots when you were at LSU

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bolobolo, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

The Library Lounge
    The Keg
    The Bengal
    The White Horse

1972 to 1976

2. bolobolo

bolobolo Founding Member

Red55, I heard the 70's were wild times at LSU. Lots of fun. Any truth to that?

3. chooselsu

chooselsu Founding Member

Wasn't the place on Highland actually called the Bengal? For me it was Sports, Sports and Sports...those were the days.

4. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Dear lord, what if the union still served beer? My guess is that class attendance would spiral down, but campus visits would go up...Geez...Kids would be out of control...

5. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I happened to drive by a few years back when they were tearing down The Bengal. I almost shed a tear. I was good friends with two of the bartenders (they were brothers) and the manager (Big Richard).

There's an abandoned auto parts store on that site now. Such a crime.

6. G-man33

G-man33 Founding Member

85-89 Sports, Fred's, Murphy's and on Sunday's The Gator Bar on Bayou Manchac.
    A drink special on every night of the week, and I still Graduated!

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Best time in the world! Major bands like the Rolling Stones, Emerson, Lake, & Palmer, and Jethro Tull played at the Assembly center regularly. Hippie chicks really believed in free love. We could drink legally. Pot was $10 an ounce . . and we thought it was expensive!

Heaven knows how I graduated, I sure as hell didn't study much.

Rocky Dijohn likes this.
  8. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

My crowd ('88-'92) frequented The Bengal after football games, and occasionally, The Tiger (though a sorority girl threw up on me one time while I was going into the bathroom there...)

On weeknights, I went to The Chimes for cheese fries and "Around the World" beers. I think I'm on the original plaque inside The Chimes.

Does anybody from that timeframe remember a fruity place called the Art Bar (down on Nicholson, I think)? SGA had some sort of function there one time. Definitely, the granola crowd hung there.

9. ramah

ramah Founding Member

LOL, where did you hang out, Red? I chased tail and drank in damn near all of 'em :cool:

10. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

The Art Bar was in a brick building down Highland close to the bridge and downtown. I didn't spend much time there, but I remember the place.

I started going around the world on the afternoon of my 18th birthday (it was a Monday during high school) and finished that summer. Good times.