News Hospital released Ebola patient by mistake

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by islstl, Oct 1, 2014.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Every hospital in the US is equipped with treating and containing Ebola, this isnt West Africa, but you are right it only takes one nurse or doctor to fuck up.

gyver likes this.
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Some of the disinfectants are toxic.

It's a huge issue for public health. But its a low personal risk for most Americans.

3. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

Toxic disinfectants my ass. You don't wear a hazmat suit to clean the Jon unless something is seriously wrong. Ebola has numerous ways it can be transmitted.

4. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

"highly infectious", huh?

5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Is that a wrong use of the term? I don't know, maybe. He was exhibiting flu-like symptoms and vomited outside the apartment complex where he was staying. To me, that means he is highly capable of communicable transmission. He contracted ebola by carrying a pregnant infected woman into her home.

If you have some other information, please share. I'm all about getting the truth and I don't think we are getting it now.

StaceyO likes this.
  6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

there are several travel associated cases and they have never resulted in transmission. it is typical that there are 50-100 contacts that need to be traced. this dude handled an infected person that died the next day. that is how you get it. the patient he handled was full of ebv and possibly had been rolling in blood and feces. the biggest difference in the US is that when someone gets that sick, it is trained, equipped healtcare workers that handle patients.

7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I wouldn't be willing to clean up a potential hot area without a full suit.

Bengal B likes this.
  8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

ebv isnt "highly infectious". if it was, this outbreak that started 6 months agou would have infected way more than 10,000 persons. the 2009 H1N1 flu had infected over 200k after 4-5 months. ebv doesnt get aerosolized because it doesnt grow well in the lungs like respiratory viruses.

9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Here's what I do know....over 3,300 are dead, the highest ever from this virus. Transmission has been aided by fear, lack of knowledge, and stigma. World travel and inability to keep sick folks stationary makes this virus very mobile. It is spreadable when someone shows symptoms. This patient had symptoms for 6 days while coming in to contact with a variety of people, including children and there are now 80 on the "watch list". Perhaps the correct term was contagious. He was.

It may not be "airborn" but if an infected person sneezes and the particles come into contact with someone's skin and there is a microscopic lesion, transmission is possible.

And once again, all the processes and prognostications in place by the CDC, NIH, and WHO are based on everything going as planned, no deviations. Here we have patient zero in the US and a huge colossal fuck up. A nurse knew he had come from Liberia and somehow that information wasn't communicated? WTH? And now we hope/pray/expect all those 80 people will stay put and do what we ask. And what if they don't? What happens when illegals who are symptomatic don't tell anyone about their travel or exposure because they are afraid of being deported? Worse yet, they don't seek health care and isolation isn't an option. That is exactly how HIV has spread so rapidly among Hispanic men and women.

All I'm saying is that panic is too much, but nonchalance is no better.

StaceyO and gyver like this.
  10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Please expound. .