Horrible way to die

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUfan71, Nov 9, 2007.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

2. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

3. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

When I was up in Virginia two weeks ago doing workups, we got a call that a local worker out in town had his leg chopped off at the sawmill and they were requesting a helicopter to take him to the hospital (the only capable hospital was nearly an hour away in Richmond). Unfortunately, the cloud ceilings were too low for us to fly, not to mention we weren't medevac capable. But I remember thinking just how much that would suck to lose you leg like that.

4. phlashman

phlashman Founding Member

ouchy....

5. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

There was an incident a few years ago of an aircraft mechanic get sucked into the engine of one of our 737's.

6. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Did he live?

I saw a video, from a few years ago, of a sailor being sucked through the intake of a F-18 on the deck of a carrier. It spit him right out the back. He only had minor injuries.

1 person likes this.
  7. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Yeah you don't live when you walk through the rotor arc of a helo.

8. phlashman

phlashman Founding Member

Yea, I heard the interview with that guy, the only thing that saved his ass was his helmet. Jammed the blades.

9. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

...Or a tail-rotor of a CH-53, which I just about did in Croatia. The bird sat down half in, half out, of a fresh bomb crater. I was focused on making sure all of my Marines were back on board, turned around to do one last scan of the LZ, and turned back around to find myself face to face with the tail-rotor, maybe a couple of inches away with my momentum going forward. The height it was sitting would have split me right up the middle. I swear, something pushed me backwards, and that's the only reason I didn't die that day. I don't remember much about the ride back to ship...Guess it wasn't meant to be my day.