Hoops Recruiting (2012)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

Just turning some basketball comparisions over in my mind & wondering what ya'll think. Fact is LSU's record the past two years is 22-41 & 5-27 In SEC play. Could Nicholls or Mcneese have done that well in conference? How about North Texas State & Johnny Jones? If the answer to ether of these questions is yes then wouldn't you think that is unacceptable? I mean we are LSU & considered to be several cuts above those schools in every sports phase that I can think of.. What I can't seem to come to grips with is how TJ as highly respected as he is (or was) can be so bad two years in a row. To Quote the coach - It is what it is! Well it is a horrible record is what it is!

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

nuance, tom. the cupboard was bare after his first season. then he had to clean house, so to speak, getting rid of graham, harris and spencer. so he was left with a young and thin roster. coach k would not have done well with either team these last two years.

3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Totally agree, Gumborue...

I think he's put together a nucleus of a team around which one or two highly rated national recruits could be added to produce a very good team for several years.

It's extremely short sighted, even uneducated, to call for a coaches head in the first two years after he had to start from scratch. (His first year was with a completely inherited team.)

What are my thoughts on Coach Trent Johnson??

I'm NOT thinking he's no good and needs to be run off...I'm worried that after the next three or four years at LSU, he'll have such success that we won't be able to keep him and he'll end up coaching a very major NCAA powerhouse.

Coach Johnson will probably end up winning a national championship somewhere else like Indiana because the LSU basketball fanbase seems to have no concept of what college basketball is all about besides very short term won-loss records.

He's got to feel liker he's under appreciated and not welcome here with the lack of fan support around here.

4. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

Oh i'm not asking for his head (TJ) by any means besides who would we get that would be better? I just think he has recruited poorly & to me just seems to accept the losses piling up a little to easely. I want a little more fire on the sidelines, something to push the players to be the best they can be.. I vent because i'm not happy or satisified with what is going on. I go to the games & will be there next year pulling for the Tigers & Trent to have a great year but I will moan & groan if things go badly..

5. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Tom, You're a good guy and a good poster...I have been reading on other threads and sites where posters are calling for TJ's job or putting heat on him and I was reacting to that mindset. I'm with you as far as rooting for LSU...I'll even be crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

After reading my post, I see I came across as calling you uneducated. If so, please accept my apologies. One thing I know for sure is that you are a real good tiger fan. :cool:

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i wouldnt worry about that too much. he knows you have to win to get fan support and that fball is king here. he has said as much.

7. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

8. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he gets neither Felix nor Gathers.

He might take the Utah job, and we might end up losing OBryant.

9. 100%TigerBred

100%TigerBred Founding Member

we wont lose OBryant unless we let him outof his LOI, so that limb broke.

10. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Posted this elsewhere, but congrats to Rico Gathers on being named LA POY.

Could this be a good omen for LSU? Trent has seemed to be able to land the POYs of local states of late (Derenbecker, Stringer).

Gathers though definitely seems to be giving the wait and see attitude and not only is he playing this summer at various camps trying to get more exposure, but there's talk by him of potentially transferring the Findlay Prep in Vegas, which would mean he all of the sudden gets thrown into all of the feeding pipelines that that place throws you into...

Riverside's Ricardo Gathers named Louisiana Gatorade Player of the Year - NOLA.com