Hoops Recruiting (2012)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

After LSU's last game loss to Alabama Trent said on the post game show that he was going out recruiting & according to Dandy D he is looking at two big time players & a possible big time JC player. Does anyone know what year he is recruiting for & who the players are? Is it possible that he is gonna revamp the team a bit & is still trying to get some help for next years team?

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I almost have to assume he is recruiting for 2012. There is no room at the inn. Our 13 schollies for 11-12 are presently spoken for.

3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Idunno, If a nationally, highly rated player wants to come to LSU, I wouldn't feel to comfortable about having my scholarship renewed if I was riding the pine on this team regardless of how getting cut might affect the APR.

4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Except there is noone riding the pine. The only guys not getting a lot of minutes are the walk-ons and Jalen Courtney, a Frosh. There have long been rumors that Chris Bass may go private pay to free up a scholly, but it hasn't happened yet.

5. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Thanks for edifying me there. I follow basketball on this board and haven't seen a game yet.

Put me down in the "I'm concerned, but lets give coach Johnson more time" camp. I'm probably more patient than most though.

I wonder how Louisiana talent stacks up nationally these past few years.

6. Tom Callender

I don't know about you guys but if I was in the boat with TJ I would be looking for more better players for next year. several of the players we have on this team are just not good SEC players. Another big point guard & additional rebounding help is definately needed. If the front line players we have on the team now have to play for any extended length of time next year then we are gonna be in trouble again. We need more rebounding & defensive help.

7. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Check out the 2011 recruiting thread for some discussion on this. Frankly, i would agree with you, and the question is are you happy with JOB and Hamilton, and look for a Backcourt player? Or, do you sign a big man, knowing that there's very little depth behind Hamilton and O'Bryant in the future, when we lose Warren and Green.

8. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

There was a thread a few weeks back about the dumbest athletics programs and LSU ranked #2… The worst on the list was the basketball team. CTJ is no longer at Stanford but he still has recruiting restrictions..He has to recruit players who are going to do good in the classroom and more then likely going to be around at lest 3 years… I think he’s done an Ok job with what he has to work with and I think its getting better… A lot of people are calling for CTJ head right now but I don’t think it will happen, I think the AD knows what’s up…The 2012 class will be big for CTJ... 2011 brings skilled big men, adds depth to the front court and should open up room for our shooters… I think next years team will be solid, not great (even tho im hoping they are) but solid…If CTJ can pull in a good mix of talent for the 2012 class, I think basketball will be relevant at LSU again!

9. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

I think this is right, and frankly, I think while the results aren't great in what I'd really call "year 2" of the rebuilding effort, the key is not only good recruiting, but consistent good recruiting. Note this quickly about Trent's recruiting tactic versus Brady's (and various complaints lodged against him):

1. Recruit Locally and sign the best LA player(s) (Trent: Ludwig, Derenbecker, Isaac)

2. Sign kids from OOS that can contribute (Stringer (MS), Turner (AL), Courtney (MS), O'Bryant (MS), Miller (TX-declared ineligible))

3. Sign kids that help APR and stay in school.

Now, about the only thing that he hasn't done is sign a "one and done" like Anthony Randolph, but folks in the know in hoops know that the goal should never be to sign one and dones for the sake of doing so. If you add such a good player on an already good team (and frankly one and dones usually don't go to bad teams), then it's what puts you over the top. But, what Trent is doing, is at least philosophically aligned with what was needed at LSU at the time he was hired. Trent does garner respect in the status of coaching, and frankly projects a more classy image. While he's getting some heat now for Ws, a recruit still has to ask, "can I see myself playing for this guy?" "will he teach me something?" I think in this regard, Trent is definitely a good coach.

Now, I think as LA talent gets better, the question is going to be can these players feel that obligation or desire to come here build and rebuild that LSU tradition. It has to, at some level, also come down to the players. That's why I hope Gathers and Felix, Bridgewater (2013), Craig Victor (2014) really see the long-term vision and mission with Trent. Can these guys be the "Fam" like in football? I hope so. I do think that 2012's recruiting class will say alot about whether Trent sees that contract renewal, almost as important as the wins. A guy like Gathers or even Felix, signing with LSU says LA players want to make LA relevant again.

Regardless, if better players are coming in the door and staying 3-4 years, LSU will get the wins. Alleva's going to be inclined to ride this contract out the next year and see what happens. If kids like O'Bryant are making a difference, and Gathers is inking with LSU, Trent will get an extension in year 5.

10. Tom Callender

I'm not against TJ, I'm not against our current players. What I am against is being embarrased nationally evertime we are on tv. I don't care if they are "program players", AA jumpin' jacks or whatever. They have to play hard, hustle, make foul shots & play like everybodys watchin'! Wild three pointers, no defense & no blocking out for rebounds is inexcuseable at any level. Run some plays, screen your best shooters open for shots, drive & dish. I want to see LSU be competive & play hard even if we lose. I'm not seeing that now, are you? Now, everyone is saying it's not TJ's fault, I'm not so sure about that. Waiting another two years to have a team that will compete for post season seems a bit stretched out to me. I'm Venting, this team is killing me. Hope I live long enough to see us kick some butt on the BB court again.