Hoops Recruiting (2012)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Oct 29, 2009.

1. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

In Johnny, I trust !! :D

2. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

3. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Yeah, Tigerbait has its story on the commitment... http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1375702

Great job CJJ and staff. In the end, it's about bringing in bodies, Jones' bodies, and some excitement. Seems like from the story that some passion, both from Jones and the players, sold Collins on declaring in 2012 as opposed to 2013 and committing to the Tigers over other "mid-tiers" in Ole Miss, UMass, Va Tech, and Cincy, among a couple of others.

What I'll say is this, the kid's a FR and not a JUCO, so he's got time to develop and be in the program in a position of need (if you don't really count Stringer as a true point, we had no depth behind Hickey). While most of the video is out there showing him just shooting a lot, the kid has had to score this year he says in the article, so he's been "forced" to score 25ppg (had a high of 40+ in a game). However, Collins Was most proud of a game where he dished out 18 assists. In the end, I like the fact that he's 6'2", and already seems like a well built 185-190 lb kid. Having a PG that's a little bit bigger and harder to push around is nice--and a good counter to the quick little points we have with Hickey and Stringer.

It's also as I mentioned earlier a hedge against 2013, where you'd like to maybe get a point in that class, but frankly that's a class with more forwards and bigs. May also be telling that LSU had 2013 point guard Kendall Harris in there on an unofficial, and maybe didn't get the vibes that CJJ wanted for a 2013 point signing.

Bird in the hand in 2012. I'm fine with that. Really, now, as 2012 true freshmen go, landing Collins, Morgan and Hammink is a nice 1-2-3 combo for the future. CJJ likes versatile guards, and in that line up of freshman, you've got some very nice potential. Now, he's just got to sign some nice bigs in 2013, and well, future is looking very bright.

:)

4. mrgreen21

5. mrgreen21

6. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Thanks, Mr. Green. So much CJJ in the news these days.

He definitely isn't resting on his laurels this summer. A constant recruiter--got to love it. Reminds me of Dale (and I say that in a good way).

What will be interesting with this team is the transition of styles. Certainly, players like Hickey will love it, that is pushing the ball and scoring in the 80s instead of the 60s. And, what Jones has coming in is a very big influx of perimeter players. How do players like Collins, Hammink, Coleman and Morgan impact the line-up? Which of them will get more minutes? "No spot is guaranteed" is the mantra from the coaches. But, like all transitions, the psyche and morale of the team will be interesting to watch with a new coach in town. Will Hickey feel threatened by guys like Morgan or Collins who could play point? Will Stringer pout if he doesn't get his minutes? Frankly, Trent with less recruits coming in his first year focused on just re-tooling a dysfunctional upperclassman Brady team. He won the SECC, but he just focused on coaching up established players, rather than recruiting. Jones comes in recruiting guns ablaze (and to his credit, added very strong recruiting assistants) and now has to balance new and old players and divide the minutes up to unproven players.

Also, Trent recruited JOB with a stated premise that he can go inside out with his offense. JOB is not a true up and down the floor running style big. He's a little bit bigger and more of a true post than I've seen CJJ play in the past. What happens to JOB's game? Alot of folks seems to suggest that O'Bryant and possibly Odoh coming on board gives you a stout front line up, but there will be tension with that kind of line up and an up tempo line up. I've got to think that Kirby adds something here that Jones by himself wouldn't have the most experience with. Kirby's work at MSU and Georgetown with bigs will be crucial for creating an offense that works for this team, and keeps JOB happy (considering at least right now, he's likely the focal point of the team).

I really haven't seen much on Odoh other than most people are talking him up because well, he's big. He's more of a shot blocking, defensive presence than Hamilton perhaps, but you're going to lose a lot with Hamilton.

I am certainly in support of signing another big man in this class for front court depth. What's interesting is what kind of big are we going to get?

7. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

...an Anthony Davis type ??? :D

8. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

hey, we can dream right?

9. mrgreen21