Hoops Recruiting (2012)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Oct 29, 2009.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

quote="Tom Callender, post: 1261353, member: 10537"]This may be a dumb question & it may be in the wrong place (if so sorry). Why are Junior College recruits not rated with a star system? LSU has from time to time signed some JC players(3 this year) & it seems they never add to the positive total of the class like high school players do. Somebody somewhere must have a opinion on JC players wouldn't you think?[/quote]

JC players don't get ranked with stars, but there is arating system. Coleman and Godfrey are both in the top 15 amongst JUCOs from some services. I don't know where Odoh falls in that list.

2. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

JC players don't get ranked with stars, but there is arating system. Coleman and Godfrey are both in the top 15 amongst JUCOs from some services. I don't know where Odoh falls in that list.[/quote]

Yes, for what it's worth according to Sporting News, Godfrey was a first-team AA Juco, and Coleman was a second team. I chalk up the "lack" of recruiting largely to be one where, frankly, JUCOs are just a completely different "basketball market". Smaller teams, smaller revenue and attention, and in the case of basketball, there is just a lot more attention on hs prospects going to big name colleges. When you think about the talent evaluation and the scouting network in hoops, NBA scouts have been scouting big college programs and high school for a long time. The only ones really scouting jucos are college coaches that need to "fill in" the patches. If you don't have good consistency keeping players and find yourself needing a more mature body, but likely someone who wasn't as highly recruited out of hs, then you go the JUCO route. Of course, for LSU, we're a school that has fallen into that niche... lots of attrition, and turnover, and spotty recruiting. So someone like MThornton, QThornton makes a lot of sense for a team with inconsistent depth. That said, I think you really want to focus on the top 15-20 JUCOs, in my opinion. Other than that, you run the risk that you're really just adding another body who won't give you significant minutes in a top flight program. Godfrey and Coleman make a lot of sense for that reason---they are legitimately good JUCOs who were also top 100-150 high school recruits.

With all of that CJJ and staff are just everywhere. We haven't really updated this thread with new on Tony Trocha, a 6'10" big man, and more recently Corban Collins, a 6'2"-3" PG who is a 2012 guard with some nice physical attributes, who is down to LSU and a couple of other schools. This comes on the heels of the skuttlebutt that John Isaac may not be coming back next year.

CJJ is putting in some work. I actually really like the idea of adding another PG, and one who is bigger with some size. I've always been a big fan of a bigger, stockier PG who can bull his way around people. Collins seems like a great counterpunch to Stringer and Hickey. Let's see if he visits!

mrgreen21 likes this.
  3. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

He has a nice shot, but that video doesn't show any PG skills at all. Not that he doesn't have them, the video just doesn't show him doing anything but pull-up jump shots.

mrgreen21 likes this.
  4. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

Same thing I was thinking...He needs to fire whoever edits his video...I've seen some good articles on the kid but the only thing that video showcases is his ability to hit the the open 3 and one pass! But I have to agree with Tigernhornedland if Issac is gone I welcome this kid with open arms. A big pg to put in the rotation would be nice. I must say I'm sad to see Issac go if he is indeed gone. With a coaching change you expect people to leave, outside of Hickey and JOB, Issac was next in line of who I didn't want to leave. That's no offense the other guys but Issac is a Louisiana guy and one who wanted to be a tiger...I think we only a fraction of what he was able to do. I think hes athleticism and will to play D would have fit coach JJ's running style better... With that said, with the subtractions CJJ has done a good job getting good players late (and maybe he's not done yet) and getting players to fit his system. I don't think we are going to see a coaching hangover (when a coach has players from the last regime that don't fit his system) I think CJJ is going to put a team on the court that is going to compete right away. He's hit the ground running and is planing for the future. I haven't been this excited about LSU basketball in a long time, I don't know about you guys but in the last few week I've been checking the net 3 or 4 times a day looking for new info on the team. I'll say it again CJJ was the last person on the list I wanted to get the hire, in two weeks he completely changed my mind. And at this point for all I know he my not be able to coach a lick(I know he can coach a lick I looked up his record at UNT) but for right now i'm happy and expect big things for the future of LSU basketball!

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  5. mrgreen21

More video on Collins, it's a lil older but...

6. mrgreen21

7. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

just about to post the same link. grades were the issue, not disinterest/dissatisfaction.

8. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

How does all this transferring affect the academic performance index (or whatever it's called) ?

9. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Well, it can't help. This is attrition is due to academic standards, not leaving for the pros, or leaving early in good standing. Hamilton leaving early in good standing--ok, Issac dropping out in bad standing--not ok. The only saving grace is that Trent got the program back up above the mandatory limit and to the full schollie allotment--not sure if this one bumps LSU back down closer to dangerland. In any case, it's the new coaching staff's problem now, and we may not see any results for a year or so when the NCAA comes out with their next APR assessment.

Here's where I am on recruiting. I do agree that there's a "buzz" out there that's endearing to hoop fans like me. There is an excitement for the number of players we're in on, LSU's throwing its name out there, making offers, and players seem interested. But, as far as I've seen the coaching change has led to Turner leaving, Issac leaving (although hard to blame this on CJJ) and three new players (Coleman, Hammink and Godfrey)--2 of whom would have likely come. So, we're down 2 players with SEC experience and we've added a JUCO big. So far, that's a serviceable swap, maybe with Godfrey we add in a position of need and we added depth in a position where we had some players. Until CJJ and CKirby and CForrest land a "surprise" recruit, I'm still giving them an actual B maybe a B+ on recruiting. Now, if Odoh comes that moves to a B+/A- because he would have come to LSU solely because of the coach. If Pollard comes, then that's a A job. Anxious to see what comes next. I'd really like to see Odoh for size, Collins for depth, and I think Pollard is a long shot.

What I AM excited about is Jone's coaching staff assembling. Getting Forrest and Leonard to come was expected, but strategic due to their TX ties. Getting Kirby to come was a coup. Adding Kelsey, an experienced head coach, to come in as an administrator, was also likely an unexpected find. I don't know if these guys can really coach in games, but their overall recruiting base and relationship with players from a personal "endearing" staff is as good as it's probably ever been on a LSU staff in the last ten years. So, A to CJJ for doing something Trent wasn't really ever able to do--assemble a wow kind of staff.

10. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

My impression from reading this mornings article in the Advocate (on JJ & LSU BB) is that recruiting for this year 2012 is pretty much over. JJ is looking for a one year post player (already graduated) that won't interfere with next years available scholarships (good luck with that) & maybe a combo guard. LSU has 9 players on scholarship as of now & are allowed 13. With Ludwig being the only senior next year. If no one else is signed this year that would give us 5 openings for next season. The article kinda makes one think they are really pointing toward next season already. The next signing period starts in November I think, maybe things will look different by then?