Hoops Recruiting (2012)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Oct 29, 2009.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Randy Rosetta @RandyRosetta
    Howard College coach Mark Adams confirms that Calvin Godfrey, a 6-8, 230-pound F, has committed to #LSU. Averaged 12.6 ppg, 7 rpg in 2011-12

Was at Iowa St. before Howard. Teammate of Coleman's at Juco.

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

A nice pick up, # 12 Juco player. He fills an immediate need, but I think this also shows we are likely not in it for Pollard. I am hoping this is not a Swilling Jr. type commit.

We still need a true 5.

Come on UNT. Let Odoh go.

3. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

Mmmm, is this a good deal or is he a back burner recruit? First time i have heard of him.

4. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Seems to be a little bit of a safe hedge, I think. Here's the presser:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba.../calvin-godfrey-lsu-iowa-state-howard-college

What I can tell from various youtube videos is the kid is an athletic 6'8" PF, whose highlights largely comprise dunks on breaks. He gives you someone who is a very different counterpoint to "less athletic" bigger perimeter players in Ludwig and Courtney. Obviously, he's also someone who is more of a true post (as opposed to Pollard who's really more of a 3/4) who isn't afraid to mix it up a little bit inside.

http://www.njcaa.org/colleges_colle...=Roster&slid=2&teamid=118943&athleteid=348029

If you study his statistics, the things that jump out at me are his FG%, his blocks per game, and his rebounds. The kid gets scores down low, close in, and doesn't shy away from contact in the paint. May not go out and hit a three like Ludwig or Courtney, but opposite O'Bryant, you feel a little bit more comfortable that he isn't going to be pushed around as much. Even though you'd like him to be a little bit taller, he's a decent find to upgrade your double post.

Clearly, what Jones is thinking is Pollard is a long shot, and Odoh, would be "stealing" from his prior school. To be ranked the #12 JUCO says something about Godfrey, but hard to say what kind of impact he'll have in the SEC, and he'll still have a tough time against the bigger SEC teams. Whatever that turns to be though, is he probably plays bigger than Ludwig and Courtney. In a fast break styled offense, Godfrey certainly has shown an ability to get up and down the floor and go hard to the basket. Nice get considering how late we are in. Probably also a bonus that he and Coleman know each others' games.

Way to geaux, CJJones and staff!

5. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Not a lot of substance. Basically just says that LSU is on his radar. No coaches have contacted him directly, but an assistant was at a tournament he played in last week. Said he is definitely going to consider LSU and wants to look at the current roster, players coming in, and the coaching staff.

6. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

7. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

Thanks for the info!

8. mrgreen21

or maybe some transfers are to come...I don't have anything solid but I keep hearing Turners name in transfer rumors

9. mrgreen21

10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I wonder if Swilling Jr. gets a real offer now.