Hoops Recruiting (2012)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Oct 29, 2009.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Well, he's 6'5-6" and a healthy 210. Like Gathers a man playing amongst boys now, but will his perimeter/guard skills develop? Supposedly he's farther along on the perimter than Gathers.

Brian Bridgewater - Yahoo! Sports

He appears already to have the in with OSU and Butch as you say. But, Bridgewater and Gathers are supposedly well connected and watch how LSU recruits him over the years. Alot of room still for recruiting, and I've got to think that Trent is watching him. No telling what the "family" thinks of LSU given prior Bridgewaters who have gone there.

Also, Tigerbait is on a roll. They've got another recruiting story on Gathers and Felix in the Class of 2012.

http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1074109

LSU is in good stead....

2. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

3. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

4. TGer'nLHornLand

5. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

I think Gathers and Felix would be a good start but where do we go from there?

6. TGer'nLHornLand

I think you're going to see Trent go for a big (PF or center) and shooting guard, to complement a wing forward (Gathers) and a point (Felix). Look for him to target in on particular players from out of state, particularly west coast, Texas and Southeast. There are a ton of players in Texas in 2012, and in particular, Scout's already reporting a LSU offer to a CA big man, Robert Upshaw.

Scout.com: Robert Upshaw Profile

Just assume that Trent is out there talking to folks. He's the type of recruiter that knows what he needs, and zeros in on them. I believe though that in 2012, he's got to focus on another PG signing and likely an impact guard. A center would be nice, but frankly you've got some options there with Hamilton and O'Bryant. Getting a big that you can groom beyond that is a nice to have, but getting a solid PG and more quickness/shooting on the perimeter are more key to me.

7. TGer'nLHornLand

By the way, for those that are sort of taking Ricardo Gathers and Javon Felix for granted, let me just say that I believe this may be a case of LA prospects getting slighted some what.

Gathers has fallen somewhat in the rankings because he's a "tweener", maybe a stockier but short power forward, is he quick enough to be a true SF? A lot of comparisons have been made to Tasmin Mitchell who probably played at 6'6" 240 ish in the post, and was a good college player, but not necessarily a NBA 4 or 3. Hopefully, this Youtube video puts some of those fears to rest.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSXzpEZBKys]YouTube - Ricardo Gathers is a BEAST... Most Powerful Dunker in High School[/ame]

Gathers is IMO more athletic and has apparently slimmed down and is broadening his perimeter game. These are granted mostly dunks, on the break, but I don't ever remember Tas' showing me a between the legs, windmill dunk. If Gathers can develop his shot, he is going to be a pretty hard 6'6" 230ish SF to stop, going to the hoop. Trent's top recruit is still Gathers in 2012.

Mgreen, as for who to watch as back ups, here you go...

SLAM ONLINE | ยป Bayou Ball

with 2012 still a ways out, expect folks to blossom or stagnate. Still alot of action in the recruiting scene.

1 person likes this.
  8. TGer'nLHornLand

For what it's worth, Felix visited LSU this weekend, along with Johnny O'Bryant. It was probably a great weekend to visit. First the chance to see the potential future team mates play on Friday. As a point guard, I've got to think that Felix left thinking there are some prospects... Bass, Populist and Stringer ahead of him. Probably some improvement over last year, but we could really use some PG help in the future...

http://www.lsusports.net/pdf8/72118...PSID=27826&SPID=2166&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=5200

I think Felix's MO is a stable, consistent point, with a decent J. 5'10" and not particularly flashy, but just sets folks up and scores his points as needed. In some ways he reminds me of DJ Augustin--from a N.O., similar stature, and headiness perspective. He's probably not as good an athlete or shooter at this stage, but could improve. He was probably also impressed with LSU's wings... Turner, Dotson, Derenbecker and Courtney are some pretty nice young wings. If I'm thinking about 2012, our focus on point, a wing (Gathers), and a big. If Turner, Dotson and Derenbecker develop not sure that a SG will get as much PT. Plus Isaac, assuming he's still coming, is a nice fill in as a combo guard.

Hopefully more reports come out on how the visit went in the coming days...

9. 100%TigerBred

100%TigerBred Founding Member

10. TGer'nLHornLand

Thanks for the post. Would love to get the inside scoop. The issue with him isn't whether he wants to be at LSU, but rather, whether he's injury free. Isaac apparently hurt his knee playing ball over the summer and thus, it's unclear how he'll come back from the injury. As a result, he's sort of fallen from the "top player" in Louisiana mantle because he was less active in AAU ball, although he certainly fits, if healthy, the Tigers' need for more depth at guard. At an athletic 6'3" 205 ish, you can see him being a very nice defensive player or versatile guard to provide more firepower in the backcourt.

Please keep us posted on how he looks this season... and I hope he has had a full recovery.