Hoops Recruiting (2011)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Mar 10, 2009.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

KC Ross miller didn't pass the clearing house. I think that is the 'more attrition' we had to have to make room for Issac. We now have 12 underclassmen scholarship players on the team and 1 underclassman walk-on. It seems Issac is our 2011 class.

2012 is going to be an important class for Trent.

2. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

Well it kinda seems that way... Johnny O'bryant will be on campus this weekend for an official visit. What if he verbals?

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Not a clue, but I see Shawn Long from Morgan City High is on that select team. You've probably never heard of him. I played golf with his coach not too long ago, and he predicts Long will make a big splash on the recruiting scene this season.

4. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Woah, basketball recruiting talk on this site during the beginning of football season? What's going on? Time to come out of retirement, eh?

Seriously, I think the scholarship count for 2011 has always been a matter of what happens with some of the other players. We had Bo's spot, which was reserved for Mr. Isaac. Then you've got the matter of kids not making the grade (KC Ross) or perhaps kids who can pay their own way (Bass), or frankly kids that transfer (could that occur with say, Dotson?). So, I think Trent's working with idea that two scholarships in 2011 makes sense.

Yes, he's landed a pretty big visit out of Johnny O'Bryant this weekend, and I hope the kids in Tigertown are astute to this because it hasn't been getting alot of press. Interestingly many folks in Miss assume the kid will stay in Miss and LSU is playing one of the schools recruiting JOB during this weekend--Moo St. I'd say if Trent lands JOB and continues with the offer for Isaac, he's done well. Johnny O'Bryant is a 6'9-10" 235-240 ish power forward center, in a class with very few. Not out of the gym athletic, but a big live body down low, with some decent spot up jumper action--still a kid that ranks as high as top 15, and in most polls in the top 30-35.

Trent and Brent Scott could do some wonders with this kid, and I've got to think that Trent will trot out Malcolm White and Justin Hamilton to show JOB how Trent coaches up the bigs. In a way, it's why a team like Ole Miss isn't as compelling for him, despite being a Miss school. Miss St is an interesting comparison. Stansbury can point to the likes of Varnado or other bigs he has run his offense through. On the other hand, I'll be interested to see how John Riek or Renardo Sidney turn out. Stansbury hasn't exactly developed his talent. But, if the kid wants to leave Miss, he can join Andre Stringer and Jalen Courtney, two kids he knows from AAU ball in Miss. He'd be a great complement learning with Malcolm White as a senior, Justin Hamilton as a junior as a true center opposite him as a potential PF sharing a lot of time with Warren.

Speaking of centers, Trent announced walk-on tryouts from tonight. Three walk-ons will join the team. You all know Daron Populist. But, how about Andrew Del Piero, a 7'1" walk on from Austin!? Played ball right here at Westlake, although he was probably just on the team. Interesting. Another walk-on will be named in the next few days...

Men's Basketball Holds Walk-on Tryouts - LSUsports.net - The Official Web Site of LSU Tigers Athletics

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Gotta be Kinsley. Right?!

6. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

No. It has been reported within the last few weeks that Kinsley has transferred to play at UNO, who recently "downclassed" and is now fielding a team to play in DivIII. Zach also joins his brother at UNO. He's likely to get assured playing time and more manageable opponents. Trent told Zach that if he wanted to play again this year, he'd have to try out again like the others, and Zach didn't want to do that.

Of course, that was several months ago, when we thought we might have a crowded backcourt. Populist ended up getting invited back on as soon as KC-Ross didn't qualify and Spencer was out.

I'd wonder if it's Chris Beattie, who was actually the Tigers' best 3pt% shooter last year. It does seem with Populist backing up at point, and Del Piero giving another big practice body, that the logical choice would be a wing or shooting guard with some decent athleticism or shot. But, we should be real, with a new, big practice facility, Trent is largely looking to get to 15 players so he can field 3 units for practice. The key is this walk-on good enough to practice against the starters. No question that Trent's staff has coached up some walk-ons and if we get 5-7 minutes out of these kids in a game, that's saying something.

7. mrgreen21

Just saw that Jarreau backed off of his commitment to VCU and said he wanted to keep his options open... Haven't heard to much about the kid until the last week or so but I hope CTJ gets a sneak peek in case JOB stays in Miss!

Link: Scout.com: Jarreau Reverses Field

8. mrgreen21

That sucks about Zach...You couldn't ask more from a walk on...wish him the best tho!

9. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

It's also saying something that LSU has to rely on walk-ons for 5-7 minutes, IMO. Is LSU going to be able to compete or not? Is Trent even going to be able to land Gathers? I don't follow this as closely as football, but CTJ seems like a great guy with character who doesn't have the clout to land the talent. I guess we're hoping to be Butler?

10. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

I'm wondering that if LSU does not have a good year this year that Trent will encourage some of the current scholarship players to transfer. Only having one or two openings after a subpar year is not gonna create much excitement for the future.