Hoops Recruiting (2011)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

A brief look at Butler in comparison.

ESPN/USA Today or AP Rankings since 2002:

Butler - 21/NR/NR/NR/21/14/25/10
    LSU - NR/NR/NR/3/NR/NR/17/NR

Average "star" ratings (Scout, since 2002, not counting walkons):

Butler - 2.2 stars (22 recruits)
    LSU - 3.2 stars (31 recruits)

Current Coaching:

Butler: Brad Stevens (31), moved up from assistant in 2007. 82-14.
    LSU: Trent Johnson (54), hired 2008 from Stanford. 195-143 (36-24 at LSU)

Previous Coaching (since 2002):

Butler: Lickliter (131-61 - 68%)
    LSU: Brady (167-111 - 60%)

Coaching matters. I'm not anti-Trent Johnson. But I find the comparison interesting.

2. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Great points. As I mentioned before the "philosophy" of a mid-major school, i.e., recruit lesser known players, coach them up b/c they stay in school for 4 years as opposed to less time for bigger programs, and then do some damage in the tourney, is actually what most coaches would like to do in the NCAA. But, it to some degree is still relative. Outside of the same "high mid majors" like Butler, Gonzaga, Xavier year in and year out, there are also a lot of other decent programs like Northern Iowa, VCU, Wichita State, Western Kentucky, that HAVE to do so well to even have a shot to land in the tourney--sometimes they're in and other years (or one could say most years) they're out. Remember too that there are maybe two or three teams in Butler's league that even pose a threat to Butler--so to some extent LSU can't be the "big fish in small pond" in the SEC. Put Butler in the SEC, much less the ACC or Big East, and they'd be just another mid tier team there on a night in and night out basis.

That said, I do think it's an interesting commentary on one thing... Consistency of program. Butler has found its niche in recruiting (being the small school choice in the Midwest against the likes of Ohio State, Michigan State, and Big 10 schools), has had consistency in coaching (Stevens was a bright assistant and now it's head coach and has been part of that recruiting and coaching philosophy), and I think that has led to continual growth as a program. At the end of the day, to have a good program, you still have to identify a good solid coach, who can identify with players and recruit, and has a vision for the program. I very much think Trent is on the right track. The only thing that will derail that is losing continued positive recruiting momentum and continuing to sustain or adapt his coaching.

3. TGer'nLHornLand

Not a lot of specifics on this out there, but I suspect it's really a situation that comes down to the coach and the walk-on player. As folks know, the walk-on player isn't taking an athletic scholarship from one of the allotted 13 scholarship players on a basketball team. So, that player is paying his own way (or under an academic scholarship, as some of our past walk-ons have) to help out on a team, or play ball. When a team is in desparate need of players, like this year, walk-ons can help. But assuming the team has 13 scholarship players, I suppose that the walk-ons could stay on (since they don't count against the limit)--provided that it's worth it to them, or the coach. Afterall, does a walk on get anything out of being the 14th or 15th player off the bench, or on the third practice squad. Also, does the coach really have a need for three practice squads?

That said, there are plenty of teams that have well over 13 folks on their roster. And, when you consider the roles that a kid like Zach Kinsley or Darron Populist has played this year, you have to think that they'll be permitted to stay around and practice with the team next year too. Whether they want to continue to endure the same practice schedule and the like, with less prospects of playing, is up to them. I would imagine though, that these kids can be good influences on the freshman, help the team prepare for opponents, and they really have good minutes under their belts.

4. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

I agree with that. Sorta like Boise State in football.

I guess my takeaway would be that LSU has had a lot of talent to work with in terms of stars and has done less with it inside our own conference than I think should've been done. Too early to judge Johnson completely, but he doesn't have a lot more time. I can't imagine Aleva is going to be happy with an empty PMAC and a crappy basketball program for very much longer.

5. TGer'nLHornLand

I don't know about that. First, I think if you go back to the stat provided, since 2002, there have probably a mix of talent, very good like Bass, Davis, Mitchell in ratings and not as good Voogd, Farrer, Neltner. Second many of those years were Brady years, and yes, I do agree that Brady probably didn't do as much as he could have with his talent.

But, when you say Trent "doesn't have a lot of time", I guess I'd disagree. We've seen the "fall" after a good year plenty of times in Brady's tenure, and LSU endured 9 years of the man. After the Sweet 16, and after the FF teams, you saw steps back in terms of program development. I think those kinds of good years, in basketbally typically buy you a couple more years, as long as the "right things" are happening. Trent won the SEC in his first year here. And, I think that will "give him time" at least a couple of years from any real threat of losing his job. Add on top of that, the underlying fact that, despite the results this year, recruits are starting to take LSU seriously (see 2010 class) and what players are saying and doing (i.e., going to class, wanting to come back to play for him, etc.), and I think you'll see that truthfully, given where LSU basketball is right now (i.e., building mode) Alleva is likely going to keep Trent as long as he can--it's sort of up to Trent how long he stays.

Case in point, read the article about Tas' today in the Advocate:

2theadvocate.com | Sports | Laney: Mitchell says Johnson made him better — Baton Rouge, LA

I don't think there's a better testament for a coach when your 5th year senior goes up to the podium and says this kind of stuff, amidst the season that LSU is having. I think we all need to look past simply the record, and look at what the coach is doing, how he's coaching, what the kids are saying, how the kids are progressing. I don't think that the "crappy" basketball teams are going to be common place at LSU much longer. As another datapoint, paid attendance at the PMAC has still been reasonable... 8900+ per game, which is still higher than Brady's "recovery" years. I honestly think that LSU will be pretty competitive next year and the sky's the limit after that.

6. TGer'nLHornLand

Woah... Trent and his staff have definitely got a bad taste in their mouths from this past year, and have hit the recruiting trail hard.

Now word comes out that they'll be getting a visit from an Iowa State transfer, Justin Hamilton, a 6'11" 255lb CENTER prospect, in early April.

Wow. Could he be the missing Big Man in the middle that LSU needs?

http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1068621

Seems like an intriguing prospect... good size, played at a legit conference. Seems fairly athletic actually and mobile.

See Youtube dunk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BLqi1_9fqs

Down to Cal, LSU and Virginia and met with Trent last Friday. Seems like Cal is likely closer to home, but man, talk about fitting with a team in a year or two that could do damage (LSU!) and a coach that has delivered big men to the NBA (Trent! Not Montgomery).

http://blogs.sltrib.com/recruiting/index.php?p=13230&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

1 person likes this.
  7. TGer'nLHornLand

8. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Cool!!!
    Exciting News!

9. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

How do we make room for John Isaac. We are currently at 14, and the guy who could be leaving to drop us to 13 is going to be the lone Sr.

Could it be that Bo gets his act together in the class room, and Bass goes to self pay? That seems like the best scenario for the team unless there is more attrition.

10. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

OK Bo's gone and that kinda answers that question but I also see we are still recruiting Johnny O'Bryant pretty hard.
    Scout.com: Men's Basketball Recruiting

So that kinda brings up the question again is someone leaving?

And if we are looking for big guys and miss out on O'Bryant there are still some LA guys out there
    Louisiana Select 17U roster - ESPN
    ESPN says Matt Moss is the guy to look out for, can't lie never herd of him...Does anyone have the 411 on this guy?

Then there is Jernard Jarreau who just gave a verbal to VCU... From what read he broke his arm and didn't play his Jr year but his a player... Had some offers from so mid levels but I'm thinking he may have got those based off of his sophomore season
    Jernard Jarreau 2011 Basketball Recruiting Profile - ESPN