Hoops Recruiting (2011)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Mar 10, 2009.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Well, technically speaking, the one opening you're referring to is (1) if Trent doesn't use his last remaining 2010 schollie, and (2) if you're not counting the schollie reserved for John Isaac.

So, yes, most people following recruiting are guessing that Trent wants to save a 2010 schollie to use in 2011. The likely target is a big man to backfill what will be an upperclassman laden frontline by that time to go along with with Isaac.

As for targets, unfortunately outside of Marshall Plumlee, who's got a 2011 offer, there really aren't that many names that have been bantied about. If you look purely at "talent" you could make an argument that Trent should either use his 2010 schollie in the spring to go after a center that might still be on the board (Josh Smith, Dwight Powell, still out there), or you hold that schollie for 2012 when there will be more center prospects from the south (there are a few highly regarded TX bigs to go along with Ricardo Gathers of LA that year).

If you are primarily looking to use that schollie in 2011 though, I'd focus on Tyler Adams (MS kid who is listed anywhere from 6'9" 225 to 6'10" 250 and played on a Jackson, MS AAU team and likely knows Stringer/Courtney), maybe Chris Coleman (big bodied 260+lb center going to academy in Humble, TX), as big name recruits if Marshall Plumlee is not taking LSU seroiusly. There are other 2011 big bodies who do not hit the "high major" prospect list at this point, but it's early yet to see how they pan out so Trent has time to be patient and see what develops.

Really many of the names you've got above, I'd say are more PF prospects, and I'd like to see Trent focus on true "big men" who can play in the post.

2. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

Me too... as for the list it was copied from Rivals under "Centers".

3. TGer'nLHornLand

I imagine that you saw LSU was entertaining 2010 LSU hoops prospect, Eric Buckner, 6'9"-10", JUCO center prospect from Gulf Coast CC this weekend?

I've got to think that this recruiting has been in the works for a while, and the kid does have an offer. Time will tell how hard Trent and staff are pushing for him.

I agree with the strategy to sign a big sooner rather than later. Just don't know how much of a project this kid is. From his offer list, obviously a lot of schools see something in him. At his size, and age, you're getting a live big body who hopefully you can mold and develop, but who can contribute sooner. Just don't know if Buckner is another Quinton Thornton guy in ability or something more.

He's probably comparable (if not better) at this stage to many of the 2011 center recruits in terms of size and athletic talent. I'd be curious though if Trent sees something more in him, and whether the kid would have to play in 2010 or could redshirt as a JUCO.

4. TGer'nLHornLand

As we think about 2010 and 2011 hoops recruiting, I think a quiet fact that developed recently is that Marshall Plumlee may have officially dropped LSU from contention. According to Rivals, Marshall no longer lists LSU, and he's got plenty of offers from Big 10 schools and Duke to consider.

So, you really start to look at the 2011 big man landscape, and there seems to be less and less options for LSU... Hence, it appears that Trent is playing the wait and see game with several JUCOs (and one big HSchooler) for rounding out the 2010 class. These JUCOs are prospects that are mature physically and could potentially help in 2010, 2011 and 2012 depending on whether the kids redshirt (unlikely). The names in this class seem to be Eric Buckner, Antonio Cooper, Kervin Bristol and Triton Mayberry (not a JUCO). Names to watch come spring time... Buckner is the only one with an offer, but the others, especially Bristol, may have some upside.

5. TGer'nLHornLand

Although it's quiet on the 2011 hoops recruiting front for LSU, other SEC schools seem to be poised for top classes.

Another Atlantic Celtics AAU player, Kevin Ware, a highly regarded SG out of GA, committed to Bruce Pearl's team after an unofficial this past weekend. He sits at the #22 player in the Rivals 2011 class. Whereas LSU once had the inkling of a pipeline into that AAU program (Graham and Harris), it seems as though Tennessee, GA, GA Tech and other local schools are trying to solidify those ties. It'd be nice to see Harris show folks what LSU can do with kids like him from GA.

LSU presumably will have one or two spots for 2011, and it's got John Isaac committed. There's apparently still some interest in guards, as Ky Madden out of AR and LeAntwan Luckett out of Miss have LSU's interest.

Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting - Future150 national camp wrap-up

With a stacked 2010 class though, it seems as though Trent may be content to see how the next class, and development of his players now, will pan out. The focus would seem to still be in bigs, although 2011 is really light on big men. Some interesting PF prospects in Texas, if Trent wants to go into the Lone Star state to establish better connections.

6. Phislammacoog

Phislammacoog Freshman

Hey Guys,

Your Basketball team went to Houston for a scrimmage this last weekend, any word on how that turned out? Our (Houston) BB program is down and is looking for any improvement they can find. Playing LSU anytime in any sport is always a big deal.

I was hoping/rooting for the Tigers to beat Bama...What is up with your QB play? I know Russell Shephard from his play is our HS district in CFISD... Great athlete, but not sure he's gonna be the next great Tiger QB

BTW, you guys are getting a pretty good Volleyball player in Desiree Elliot from my daughter's HS in Cypress TX (NW Houston)

Thanks

:geaux:

7. Phislammacoog

Phislammacoog Freshman

My bad.....We went to your house for the scrimmage

:D

8. TGer'nLHornLand

See post in 2010 thread. :wink:

9. TGer'nLHornLand

Things have been pretty quiet on the 2011 hoops recruiting front, but news has trickled out about lone 2011 LSU commitment, John Isaac.

http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1032523

As was rumored, but seemingly never made front page news, Isaac suffered a torn ACL this summer playing AAU ball. He needed surgery and now is rehabbing. According to TB the rehab is going very well, and Isaac continues to show what kind of leader and character he is. Definitely a class act and a great kid out of LA to commit to CTJ so early.

I hope his rehab continues to go well and John comes back stronger than ever. :thumb:

10. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

OK, LSU Presumably finished with 2010 recruiting with Ross Miller commiting this Thursday. What are our options for 2011? How many scholarships will we have to give in 2011? I think I read somewhere with John Isaac committed that there are no more openings for 2011 - is that really true? I also read somewhere that possible players moving on after this year include Bass & Dawson> Reason being that with the class of 2010 coming in they will not get playing time. Isn't that what got us in this position to start with ? Players leaving early for whatever reason. I thought Louisiana was suppose to have a great basketball class for 2011 or was that 2012 (fab five or something)? Whats the scoop from someone who knows???